Astron Power supplies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K0WVM, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at potentially purchasing one (RS-35M) to replace my Daiwa PS-304 by the end of the year. I think the transformer has shorted out (been blowing fuses) and so I am looking at trying to repair it, or send it in for repairs.

One thing that disappoints me with the Daiwa is the fact there is nothing as far as schematics or reference manuals anywhere for it online. Maybe it's because I have had it for 16 years and so info on it may possibly be scarce as it is.

Going back to the Astron unit I am eyeing, what do some of you all think? I am going to power my IC-706MkIIG with it (my Daiwa was doing that job). I have read the reviews on eham, but thought I would get some more opinions from the fellow QRZ folks.

2. WY6K

WY6K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had mine for 20 years and it is almost always on and has never given me a moment's trouble. It has been moved numerous times.

Oh yeah, the lighted power on switch flickers. Oh well.

You can't go wrong with it.

3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my personal station I have always had an Astron RS-20A, recently bought another to power the 2 meter in the shack here at my office. The 756Pro3 though as the PS-125 attached to it.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an RM-35M I would sell if you want it. It's the rack mount unit, with meters.

Joe

5. K1HS

K1HS Ham Member QRZ Page

>>I've had mine for 20 years and it is almost always on and has never given me a moment's trouble<<

Ditto the above! :)

6. SV2BWM

SV2BWM Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, I am looking for a schematic of a high-power power supply (>50A+) like the Astron RS-70 or the Palstar PS-50M (non-switching). Do you know any link?

7. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.seits.org/features/pwrsup.htm

This is a good read and will provide all the answers to the Astron DC supply design. Astrons are good only after a little TLC. If you never run them hard and keep them at 50% or less of their full rating they will last for years but, you can bullet-proof them with ease.

Good Luck
    William WA6Q

8. SV2BWM

SV2BWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, William...:)

9. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Anastasios,
    You are very welcome.

You will also find this link to be of very practical use.
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html

Mike Morris WA6ILQ compiled this information and it clearly explains much of the mystery ASTRON did'nt document in their technical literature. I've performed several modifications to all my Astron supplies and they all perform under full grunt load just as they should.

Good Luck my friend,
    William WA6Q

10. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

ss30-internals

If anyone's interested in viewing, I took some pics of the inside of my switching SS-30 as I was checking it over before placing into service. I know you're looking at a linear supply but I figured i'd upload them for kicks and overall feel.

Very solid construction. Only problem is the distribution terminals only leave room for one wire per. Other than that, good performance. No birdies or RFI either.

http://sonick.com/astron/

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.