Asked to leave a frequency (10.112 mh)?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD8ZM, Sep 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I have been cw-ing since August 1. Mostly I have come up to speed (now copying about 12 wpm fairly comfortably, thanks to the many fine and patient cw ops out there) and encountered few things that I didn't understand.
    However, last night I was calling CQ on 10.112 (yes, I listened first for a while and called qrl?, too) and someone answered back, we exchanged rst, name, qth, etc then it was 73. I called CQ again and the same Op asked me to leave the frequency, which I did.
    Being a newbie I wondered if there was something I didn't know about (emergency channel? contest? etc) so I didn't ask questions. I wouldn't want to stay where I'm unwanted, anyway.
    Does anyone understand what situation I may have encountered here, for my future reference? Thank you.
    Brady
    kd8zm

PS: By the way, being new to this I have to say I am incredibly impressed with the encouragement and supportive nature of the more experienced CW ops out there. I don't think I have ever experienced a more passionate and encouraging group of people in my life, and that has been true on 30, 20, 40, and 17 meters (can't work the other bands very much right now due to conditions).

2. 2E0NCY

2E0NCY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is the other op perhaps already had the frequency occupied and answered you, when in fact you thought you had it . Who was there first, we will never know.
    I have heard this situation many times on phone.

KI5WW likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Brady, I can't imagine that you did anything wrong. I would have asked the guy WHY?

You had a clear frequency according to the QRL and the previous QSO with the same guy.

I guess you don't wanna give the other guy's callsign, if not, I understand.

Chalk it up to one of those oddities that happen I guess...

4. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being that its CW and you no context to go on, its hard to say. My guess would be since it was SKCC Sprint Weekend, they may have been waiting for an arranged contact there.

I too have found 99.9% of CW OPS to be as stated, its making it easier to get on every day and practice.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why didn't he reply when:

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Not one of the guys that I know would do that. They would just find another freq.

Besides, they don't run the Sprintathons on the WARC bands.

7. KQ4MM

I wasn't aware that they didn't use WARC ... but I have seen them arrange contacts on the SKED page so thought maybe ... Shows how wet behind the ears I am ... Disregard my first comment ... :oops: ...... the second part is resoundingly true

8. 2E0NCY

2E0NCY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you where not heard, or maybe you didnt hear. I really dont know.

Good luck with your cw,
    Jon

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

No problema!

Regular contacts for trading numbers are fine on the WARC bands, but none of the 'special events' are. That's the case for 99% of any kind of contesting. WARC bands are a 'safe harbor' when the regular bands are wall to wall contest.

10. KQ4MM

Now that I am reminded, I knew that about the WARC bands and contests, but not being a contester at all I simply didn't put the 2 together ...