Artificial Ground for Heathkit HW-8

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AC8UO, Nov 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AC8UO

AC8UO Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in an HOA antenna restricted condo complex. This summer and fall I had been secretly putting up a portable vertical antenna on my deck at night to avoid the "antenna police" and running the coax into my basement, where my HW-8 station had been. Now that the snow is flying again, I decided to make a DIY indoor QRP antenna and place it in my living room near the ceiling on the first floor of our single story residence. (BTW, we have no attic). I've been relatively happy with the performance of the antenna so far. It will never match the performance of an outdoor antenna which reaches a good height but this indoor antenna has certainly exceeded my expectations. However, my dilemma is that when I had my HW-8 in the basement, I had the rig and power supply connected to a cold water pipe for a ground. It worked well.

In my new situation, my wife will not tolerate any drilling to get the HW-8 connected to the basement ground. Would an artificial ground be a workable idea at this point? How well do they work? Also, is it possible to connect both the rig and power supply to the same artificial ground or would I need to buy two artificial grounds?

I'm sorry for the naive questions but I am new at this. Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

Dennis, AC8UO

2. AC8UO

AC8UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for those who have read my question but a local elmer answered it for me. No need for an answer now.
    Dennis, AC8UO