ad: ProAudio-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8HU

K8HU Ham Member QRZ Page

Art will indeed be misssed. I have listened to talk radio just before going to sleep since I was 7. First radio was a 2 transistor radio my mom bought for $4.95 from a jewelry store. I listened to Art for years. Even had the privlidge to work him on 75 a couple times when he was doing a break on his show. Seems to me he hung our around 3710.0 or so.

Chuck, K8HU

W8KIC likes this.
  2. N7BUS

N7BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP, Here is his favorite singer/song..

KC0IVF, N6ZI, W4QBQ and 1 other person like this.
  3. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rest in peace, somewhere in time.

KV4BL, W8KIC and W4ANT like this.
  4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really followed ART much but did listen to coast to coast Saturday nights when I worked late shift. He was talented and had the right voice to fit his show. I'll never forget him showcasing a fella that claimed he had audio recordings of "Big Foots" communicating with each other. It was laughable, sound like some made up crap.
    Show was entertaining for what it was.

He was a major chain smoker. To each his own, if you smoke, it will more than likely get you...got to die of something.

KC0IVF, KK5R, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  5. N0JI

N0JI Ham Member QRZ Page

If not the most, certainly one of the most iconic radio personalities of all time. I listened to his shows for hundreds of hours over the years, and I doubt I ever changed stations before getting to my destination or losing the signal entirely. I heard him on 80 a couple of times, causing a pileup, and one time talking about a return to the airwaves that he couldn't give any details about. Cryptic, which seemed appropriate.

I have no doubt that his bumper music will be going through my head for weeks reminding me that life is too short, and making me wonder what's next. The high desert just got a little more lonely.

KC0IVF, KJ6SPN, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  6. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for that posting n7bus,

I was chasing unreadable ESP level dx on 17 and now you moved my concentration over to Crystal Gayle and those fabulous lips of hers not to mention that her song is now stuck in my head.

AD8AB likes this.
  7. N4KC

N4KC Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the great communicators, a true "wizard of the wind." Whether you agreed with his subject matter on the radio or not, you had to acknowledge his ability to entertain us at a time of day most of us are a tough audience.

Don N4KC
    www.n4kc.com

KV4BL and W8KIC like this.
  8. KC3ECJ

KC3ECJ Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Art! mars2.jpg

KC0IVF and KV4BL like this.
  9. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the pleasure of working Art on 160m several years ago was one of those brief QSO's I'll never forget sad to hear he's a SK.

10. W8NVC

W8NVC Ham Member QRZ Page

73 to Art Bell. A great guy to listen to on the broadcast band or amateur band. 73 amego.

11. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Art, thanks for the memories and antenna advice.

--KD7YVV, Kirkland ARES

12. K7NIK

K7NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a Fan Of Art Bell and listened to his, "Coast To Coast Am" my older brother KB0NVH SK told me about him. and my brother also had COPD, and passed away back in Dec. 2011

13. WB2JKJ

WB2JKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was a personal friend and “22 Crew” supporter from the early days, he will be missed!

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What "22 Crew"? The school was torn down many years ago.

Who is the "22 Crew"? Alumni?

JHS 22--where you used to teach--- in NYC no longer exists....so, where is the 'Radio Club'? They don't have a callsign, for example.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was entertaining but that admixture of real science with pseudo science was not to my taste.

I distinctly remember one show where he was off the board with his hype about claiming to see the profile of Geronimo in the smoke of a campfire picture.

Hey-- people see Mickey Mouse and Bambi-- in the clouds-- all the time.

Of course now you see that dubious mixed genre in spades on the 'science' channel and elsewhere.

No doubt: being an eavesdropper on those radio show conversations kept you up and from drowsing off.

I never understood his paranoia though.