Arrow Satelliet Antenna vs. Elk satellite Antenna

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N0MIO, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From KE3LB hi I use the elk and arrow both work fine I use the arrow on camera tripod and 2 hts works great now when i dont want to go outside cause of wx I use the elk fixed vertically at 20 degrees in a rotor with the ft8800r beats going out in bad wx works good for me on fm sats seem to be the cheapest way out instead of buying a elevation rotor just to make a few minute contact i dont do ssbfm sats only easy sats works good for me ok good luck 73

2. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool Cool. I am hoping to get some more good luck this weekend like I had on Saturday. Unless my tracking app was a little behind I was able to hear full quieting at 5-6 degrees with the elk. You ever tried to use your arrow on the tripod inside the house?

3. N0MIO

So far so good. I had some good luck last night working SO-50 on a 44 degree pass using the Elk along with the Yaesu FT-60R. I have even tried taking my Yaesu FT-7800R out to work the bids lol. Sometimes I need a little extra power on the low passes. I did have a question....how much power do you use??? I know people use AZ/EL rotors and they dominate over everyone else lol. Do they only use 5 watts or are they using 50watts?

P.S. plan on being on the SO-50 passes later tonight.

4. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some guys run 20-30w, but 5w is more than enough. I can work 3-4 degree passes with 5w, full quieting. How strong you signal is also depends on the gain of the antenna.

5. N0MIO

What is the gain of your arrow antenna. I love the elk but how much if any gain do I have?

6. KD8KSN

I am not sure about the Elk, but Arrow does not publish gain figures for their antennas.

7. N0MIO

ok lol. I know I can work AO-51 and AO-27 on very low passes. haven't had a chance to work SO-67 or HO-68 yet but look forward to giving it a shot. Whats the lowest pass you have worked on SO-50?

8. KD8KSN

Probably part of an 8 degree pass. That one is hard to hear at low elevations.

9. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... I am not sure about the Elk, but Arrow does not publish gain figures for their antennas ...

Elk published gain figures (2M Gain 6.6 dbd, 440 Gain 7 dBd). Those of us who have tested the Arrow know its gain numbers. Close to 6db on 2M and 9db on 440.

Antenna research shows that 3-element beams like the Arrow 146/437-10 tend to have about 6 dBd of gain, and 7-element beams tend to have about 9 dBd of gain.

This is a years-old "debate" in the "Elk vs. Arrow" conversation. Although the "inquiring mind" in me wants Arrow to post some test results officially, they just keep manufacturing excellent antennas, selling every one they produce to satisfied end-users.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
    909-241-7666

10. N0MIO

Well I am quite surprised about the Elk, it presumably has less gain on 440 than the Arrow, but it more directional. I have been reading the reviews on Eham.com and this antenna gets great reviews but very little Youtube videos, yet the Arrow has videos galore. How long has each antenna been around? My only gripe with the elk is when trying to work SO-50 it can be a pain to actually find the satellite and lock onto it due to it being more sensitive to direction than the Arrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.