Arrow Satelliet Antenna vs. Elk satellite Antenna

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N0MIO, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something is wrong - the acquisition of an Arrow won't dramatically change things for you. Something is wrong with your equipment or sat pass predictions or coax or radio programming - because the Elk is a very capable antenna.

Are you using the feedline end as the FRONT of the antenna? I have seen some folks point the Elk log periodic backwards ...

Clint, K6LCS
    http://www.worksatellites.com

2. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Try watching a few YouTube videos on guys using the Elk. Maybe there is something that will help you there.

What radio are you using, and do you have all of the doppler programmed in correctly?

Have you gone outside?

While I don't think this is your entire issue, if you have powerlines nearby you by be getting power line noise on your signal.

Double check all connections and/or connectors.

Like Clint said, make sure you are not holding the antenna backwards.

3. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

--OOPS ---I didnt see Zack's post when I posted this . Should have started with my first cup of coffee before posting ..hi hi.
    ----------------

I think the best advice I can give you is to watch any elk related videos on youtube and and see if your doing it right or wrong .
    Here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY65Lc44e4

Clint do you have any videos on the elk ????

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. KD8KSN

JWY - What is the "10ft of coax" you referred to in one of your earlier posts??

5. KC2YYY

KC2YYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Were you using the ELK Antenna during this morning's 1038z pass of AO-51? One thing to make sure when using ELK Antenna is that the feed element is away from you i.e. it is the farthest from you, not the closest. I almost made that mistake ;). Before using the antenna I watched few videos including the one mentioned by KB3QLK here and quickly realized the mistake I was about to make. Then I read the instructions and sure enough it was mentioned in the instructions! Hope to catch you again on the birds :)

Jalil KC2YYY

6. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

It was from Radio Shack I know hihi lol. It was RG-8M ten foot of coax with a pl-259 dual ends. I actually took that back and for 73 more cents got 20 feet of RG-58 and seems to work well. Both were 50 ohm.

On a side note I was able to get outside and work most of the passes with the Elk and wow works great. Was able to work passes as low as 3 degrees. Best signal receive was on AO-51 at 3 S units. Otherwise everything else was 1-2 S units. How great do you all receive the birds?

7. KD8KSN

With AO51 running 1+ watts right now, I generally have S7-S9 most of the pass, then S3-S5 as I near the horizon.

On most of the birds (AO27, SO50, HO68) I generally have S3-S5, sometimes S7. S5 is probably the average.

8. N0MIO

The pass I worked was 61 degrees above the horizon. I take it you are using a Arrow Antenna? The best signal I was able to get was S3 but other than that it was S1-S2. I was pointing the antenna by hand which may be part of the issue, and also the fact that I was a little behind the Doppler effect lol.

9. KD8KSN

Yes, I am using the Arrow. A TH-D7A for up and a TH-G71A for down.

10. N0MIO

ok very cool. I will try and work the SO-50 passes tonight sense by the time I get off work all of the other satellites are passed for the day. 73 and hope to hear ya.
    19 degree pass at 10:18 PM CST
    53 degree pass at 11:59 PM CTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.