ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL's turbulent road in censuring league officials and directors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

It would take someone willing to put a couple mi$$ion out to get it started. I've seen it done in other fields. Usually a publisher or someone who owns a business in a related market.
    Once it got off the ground I do agree with much of your comments. One thing that a startup group has going for it is that the list of potential members is already available for free. Right from the FCC.
    That would reduce startup costs compared to what other non-profits need to go through when starting.

2. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are times those people are right.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh oh...

K1OIK likes this.
  4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is one of the reasons why every single division director has a competitive race this year.

5. WN1MB

Uh oh...

K1OIK likes this.
  6. WN1MB

That isn't true. There are only a handful of Division Director races this year.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And there's nothing wrong with that.

If you really care about "fixing" or "reforming" A**L, then you should welcome all legitimate criticism from people who have been mistreated. That reminds others why change is needed. The more people tell about their experiences, the more likely it is that others will act.

It makes me wonder what your real goal actually is. You say you want positive change at A**L, but you continue to discourage people from talking about what needs to be changed at A**L. That's not consistent with the goals you claim to have.

And while we're on that subject, how do you know that any participant hasn't tried anything besides posting their thoughts here? Perhaps they just don't want to have their actions and experiences picked apart and their honesty questioned, as is quite common when people try to point out A**L misbehavior.

8. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know it's not something I want to do, and, even though I think the situation at present sucks, I also have some emotional/nostalgic attachment to the League. Personality conflicts happen, nobody is getting wealthy off of this stuff, and I suspect if you got a couple of drinks into most of the incumbents, they would admit they screwed up. What's serious and could be enough of a reason to go through all of this headache is the legal stuff I mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WIA already does this for Australia, and I know the Aussie hams got screwed on the 1KW limit, and absolutely nothing was being done to get *any* new blood into the hobby down there. I don't know any of the people who started a competing organization, and I imagine that would *really* be difficult when there just aren't that many active hams in the first place. What I did hear from folks down there was that WIA had become non functional. It's different in the U.S. in a couple of ways. Just in terms of sheer numbers of course, there are more active hams. At this point, ARRL has no direct control over regulation. Again, my information may be incorrect, but WIA had reached the point of not even being able to get out their magazine. The League functions, sorta kinda, but it is teetering. The discussion you see on here is mostly the same folks over and over, who have the time/interest/boredom to focus on it. There are big problems in what they call "The Field Organization" that don't get much play here. In my area, one part of the EmComm folks wants to switch from ARES (the League officially imprinted Emergency Services cadre), to some other newly forming group, while another doesn't. All in all, my sense is it's about to tip over into complete non functionality. The problem with your suggestion of just waiting it out is first and foremost about the legislative and lobbying side. Arguing about whether N6AA deserved censure or whether N2YBB is a megalomaniac is one thing, being in a position where the most active hams are increasingly needing to actively work against ARRL positions is something else. The other big difference (I think) with Australia, and really with past efforts for other organizations here is, there are a number of active hams who could buy and sell all of the League Assets with relative "pocket change" before breakfast. Until the past few years, these sorts of folks were happy with the League (and there were a lot fewer of them.) They see what is going on, and they didn't get wealthy by backing incompetents. This isn't about some revenge or ego fest. We love the hobby, and want to avoid bad stuff happening to it.

I should also be clear. I'm only speaking for myself, plus I think a group that would be out to "replace" the League would be doomed. There is "institutional memory and history" there that if lost, would never be regained. My idea is more of a group of professionals and supporters/donors who can get a feel for the pulse of the Amateur Community, and represent it well to the outside. I'm not sure what the answer is for the Field Organization. There is so much alienation, that I suspect whatever the answer is, it will be decentralized.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So what does being censured by the ARRL really mean anyway? Heck, if it were me I'd frame the censure notification and hang it proudly on the wall of my shack.

NK2U and K1OIK like this.
  10. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In this case, it means they were going to use it as a means to disqualify him from running for reelection. If you read the correspondence between Lisenco and the BOD, he made it clear that Mr. Norton either resigned, or they were going to find a way to get rid of him

To get an idea how absurd this whole thing was, one big reason Lisenco thought Norton *HAD* to go, whatever it took, is that they were afraid of losing the (Not A Connecticut lawyer) "League Counsel" and then CEO Tom Gallagher. They were going to kick an elected official off of the board, because League employees and contractors found him difficult. In the real world, try impeaching or recalling an elected official because people didn't like working for him. Let me know how that works out.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018