ad: k1jek

ARRL's turbulent road in censuring league officials and directors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I understand why you like loop antennas. :rolleyes:

Round and round and round … Meanwhile I made a few QSOs on the air with a simple dipole.

NK2U likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Cute. :)

If the discussion bugs you so much, why do you keep coming back? o_O

It's interesting how many people try to defend the A**L with nothing more than dismissing others' experiences as nonsense.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger,
    And you don't tell Burt its only a hobby.

K4PIH likes this.
  4. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as a new organization, if things don't change substantially and very soon, it will *have* to be attempted. Here is why. Sometime in the not distant future, FCC will turn over all administration to the League. They will designate spectrum per ITU rules and that will be it. Licensing requirements, operating privileges, *discipline* and the rest will be subcontracted out. This is the way it is already done in many countries. It's a cost and headache reduction tool. No, grandiose Directors and Lawyers not withstanding, the FCC doesn't pay much attention to the league, because the Amateur service has basically zero priority, but it is at this point, the single source Lobby and the default "Ham Radio organization" in their perception. It isn't a question of if, it is a question of when. As things stand, this would be a disaster. Here is the thing. The "culture" of ARRL predates any of us here. It has *always* been top down, and driven by the belief that League officials know what is best for the hobby. They have never even attempted consensus building or persuasion, it's just not in the League DNA. There were always folks who b*tched and complained about it, and a few attempts at forming a competitor, but none successful. For the most part, the League worked. It was a conservative organization for a hobby/service which tended to have conservative people who respected authority, people liked the magazine, folks in the Field Organization were given great autonomy, and government was happy because Hams were a pool of potential engineers, military radio ops etc. Things in the greater world, and in the U.S. have changed drastically, but the League hasn't. No organization that wants members much under the age of 60 can succeed in 2018 with a top down approach. We live in the age of mass connectivity and social media, which means that the type of confidentiality that allows dissension to be swept under the rug is close to impossible. I'll never know this for certain, but I'd bet the cost of a TS990 that ARPA got pulled from the Defense Bill after a ham or two got into Sen. Nelson's ear. ARRL members (and non members) are at the point of needing to subvert their National Organization.

Clearly, this is unsustainable. Agree or disagree with ARPA, or allowing WinLink on HF or any other issue, what I think we can agree on is, no consensus has been built on any major issue affecting us. Yes, I understand getting hams to agree on anything is cat herding, but a representative interest group *must* represent a consensus of it's members. This isn't the 1950s with say incentive licensing, where the League can decide on something, and folks have no choice but to comply. No "Code of Conduct" or b.s. censure is going to bring that back.

As I stated above, this involves a *radical* and quick change of culture for the League to survive in anything like it's present form. If not, I know I'll start working with other like minded people to create an alternate, if for no other reason, to make sure that the League isn't perceived as the single point of contact/legitimacy for the Amateur Radio community to FCC/Government. Could we get as many members as the League has right now, or have as comprehensive an infrastructure, or the institutional history/memory of the League, not a chance in hell. Could we find/siphon from the League, a few highly wealthy sponsors, and field a team of experienced professionals in many fields, who know how to play the game, and don't show us as incoherent rubes at Congressional hearings, you betcha, and I can promise it won't be a Wayne Green or Glenn Baxter eccentric grifter act. Hopefully it isn't necessary. Most of us have better things to do.

K4PIH and WZ7U like this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so expensive you can use it as an excuse for a CEO to leave his job. Unless that is not the real reason.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To be honest, its not worth the hot air. We have a break away organization here called RASA, or as anyone with half a brain calls them Rasaholes. Their whole foundation was built on attacking the WIA on things like transparency and accountability. They attracted 500 members with FREE memberships for the first year and $8 memberships after that, mostly the people they attracted were those bitter and butthurt at the WIA or to tight to pay for an actual WIA membership, which is not really cheap. And then questions started to be raised about the Rissoles, and guess what? They have even bigger accountability issues and are about as transparent as granite. They were caught out lying and when questioned they blocked anyone who challenged them on social media, they pulled stunts with the IARU and ACMA and ended up wearing egg.

So the whole idea of break away groups is just dumb. It is better to fix what is there already or just wait till all the backward thinkers die of old age, and then get involved when its easier to do so. Generation change is happening now weather the old guard like it or not. I will be around still in 20 years, the current lot of dictators will all be a distant memory.

KB4QAA and WZ7U like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Kind of a self repairing problem. Unless the new crop isn't any better.

The Who has a song that comes to mind... ;)

NK2U likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We all become what we most dislike in this picket fence cartel.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

The issue is not the complaints... which I’ve acknowledged often have merit, which you conveniently overlooked.

The issue is that ALL many do IS complain, and nothing more.

Of COURSE some of the Directors have no clue! No one tells them!

The question was asked earlier in the week... who contacted their Directors regarding the upcoming Board meeting, and the vote on changes (if any) to the Code Of Conduct? No one answered that they had. A few excuses about past indiscretions, but...

Yet some still kvetch, even though they won’t take even a bare minimum of action to address it.

I don’t need to blame anyone. Actions, or in this case inactions, speak for themselves.

10. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely. The amount of ignorance being applied to the situation is amazing. I've read all the materials associated with the issues. And it reads like a conspiracy theory.

I could be wrong- but this is my read thus far:

There were legit complaints regarding K4AC and as the ARRL is structured, personally, I'd agree with his disqualification.

Then... K4AC does a legal nit-pick about email voting. He's right. But he had to know of this practice before he was disqualified. It's also completely common for non-profits to vote by e-mail these days (because the law is mostly not enforced). Board members are strewn all over the country and have time constraints.

Also the ARRL has corporate counsel. They didn't just get one.

The ARRL says fine... we'll do a teleconference. Completely legal. They voted how they voted. They did it because it avoids a lawsuit. I think most lawyers wouldn't touch that lawsuit with a 10 foot pole. But not being an attorney there's no legal weight to that.

What's that quote: "That's the difference between paper law and trial law..."

So here's how I see this scripted in a movie:

K4AC: "I screwed up and got spanked. But the people who spanked me are baaad. They are bad people. I didn't do anything. They are bad...."

A bunch of other hams: "Get a rope!"

In closing: I certainly agree that the ARRL can use a little reform. That doesn't extend to a pitchforks and torches attitude. When the torches come out- it's usually people who have little or no ability to think fairly. There are exceptions of course. But this ain't one of them.

If the new slate of directors is voted in- it will be a good thing. And they will have one heck of a wake up call. The ARRL will do an orientation with them (like most corporations) explaining their responsibilities. And they will be able to see all the "unseen things".

Then reality sets in.

Then there's Doug who seems to pepper ARRL in-boxes with "pro-se" legal citations. Quite frankly if I had an issue with a board I'd been involved with- I'd get an attorney to communicate.

I'm sure Doug is a good man. But sometimes trying to dig yourself out of a pit, publicly, is the wrong way to go. A little more reasonable approach might have avoided all this drama.

That's my take- after reading the materials (leaked or otherwise) I'm still on the side of the ARRL board. They certainly were not perfect in their performance. But they acted in the best interest of the company- which is their obligation.

KC8VWM and KB4QAA like this.