ad: MLSons-1

ARRL's Logbook of the World to Add Support for CQ WAZ Award

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1RSN, Dec 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. IZ8FFA

IZ8FFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi to All. -
    I have read the news for to apply the LoTW credits in to CQ WAZ Award. I'm very happy for this notice because now is more simple to send the request. I have the CQ WAZ mixed mode from December 2012, and in this years have received more LoTW confirms, simply to have, but don't have request the QSL Card, more expensive. - And also, for don't send the QSL cards trough the mail service, where is possible to lost. I'm in stby for new application for to send the request from 6 to 160M WAZ Award.
    Good job to the staff and Merry XMass and HNY .
    Ciao
    --
    73 - Felice, IZ8FFA
    MDXC #571

2. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the central rules of the IOTA programme is that the name of the island must be included in the verification. For QSL cards the name of the island must be printed on the QSL card, to count for an IOTA award. The IOTA Group reference is not sufficient. The same must apply for LoTW verifications. The Station Location in Trusted QSL has a field for registering the IOTA Group reference, e.g. NA-026 for the New York State group, but there is no field for the required name of the island. (All of my Stations Locations from IOTA QTHs are identified by the relevant IOTA Reference number for the IOTA group, and this information can be found in the LoTW verification.) Nor is island name a defined field in ADIF, which is also a basis for LoTW. Consequenty, combining LoTW and IOTA is not straightforward. I asked the LoTW and IOTA adminsitrations a while back, whether a co-operation was being prepared, but LoTW responded that no such co-operation was under consideration. IOTA have since established a co-operation with Club Log, where matched QSOs with single island and single IOTA group DXCC entities can be verified for IOTA-collecting Club Log users. Club Log and IOTA is working to extend the co-operation to include other IOTA groups as well. IOTA island operators can also register their operations and submit information to IOTA and Club Log about when they operated from various IOTA islands and groups, and matched QSOs can be verified, but its still fairly manual procedure.

I believe that combining IOTA and LoTW will require either quite a bit of work on LoTW's part to facilitate island names, or that IOTA will accept that verifications do not include the island name. I believe that both parties may have other things higher on their priority lists. However, we can hope that Club Log's partnership with both of them may lead to feasible/acceptable solutions, but I believe that we will have to have LoTW and IOTA living separate lives for the foreseeable future. Many, including me, will be happy if they prove me wrong.

73 de Frode LA6VQ

3. W5IDX

W5IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to the ARRL.
    Nothing wrong with having more options.
    Paper Cards are nice to receive and still an option but getting harder and harder to get from some stations.
    W5IDX

4. W5IDX

Ditto,

5. W5IDX

Check.png

6. PY2CP

PY2CP Ham Member QRZ Page

KW0U..good idea adding QSL cards in LOTW..someone should take a time to go ahead with this project Enrique PU2PSP

7. AA6RE

AA6RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I

I like paper QSLs too and usually send a QSL to the less common DX entities, IOTA locations and of course ATNOs. I use LOTW too and upload at the end of each operating session via HRD. LOTW provides a download capability so I also have a backup of all QSOs.

Tracking WAS, DXCC etc is easy.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Nothing wrong with paper QSLs, except that my return rate was extremely low, so I gave up.

In addition to that, waiting a couple of years for a card that might never show up, is no longer part of the fun.

As for direct ones, postage went through the roof in recent years. I would rather reallocate the funds to improving the station.

Long live LoTW.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice to see CQ and LoTW working together. Perhaps this will lead to to continuity in CQ awards and contests if CQ folds.

10. KC5RR

KC5RR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not likely.

WU8Y likes this.
  11. KD4AYU

KD4AYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly! Not to mention that in 2016 the ARRL brought to us the year long NPOTA event. Neither LoTW or NPOTA happened without incurring lots of expense. As an aside, how many of your precious frequencies would have been lost over the years without the ARRL lobbying for amateur Radio. (This last comment especially for K5CO and everyone else who "Liked" his disparaging remark.)

WU8Y likes this.
  12. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so all you guys bashing the ARRL. are you out lobbying for our bands and out future in amateur radio? Yup I figured as much. Remember the next time you go out for prime rib and a few cocktails with the wife that you had enuff to pay your dues.

Dave N8DC

K8PG, WU8Y and KD4AYU like this.
  13. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I rest my case

14. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If CQ folds, or when CQ folds? Don't count on continuity with the League. Look at the new cheapened QST. Cost too much money to keep the quality of the magazine, according to them.

15. K6IUZ

K6IUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

my 2cents...LoTW is fine until its made compulsory to participate...was looking forward to the grid square chase event but with LoTW being mandated its unlikely I'll join in...fortunately most contests do not require it.
    thanks and best of 73 to all and HNY!