ad: w5yi

ARRL Winter 2019 BoD meeting notes are out

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ria,

I see you point, though respectfully, I do not 100% agree with it.

Maybe it’s a matter of perspective. I would agree that providing a minimal or discounted fee to members for a given award is a great incentive to convince someone to join. And I agree that some will join simply to obtain the awards.

But I also understand that there are those who for any of a number of reasons will not wish to join the organization, no matter how many incentives are provided.

I simply don’t believe that we should out of hand deny operational awards to those who decline to join. That they have to pay “full freight” and not get any discounts goes hand-in-hand with their declination. That is their choice.

If anything, making the opportunity to achieve the award available, even at the higher cost, shows the organization to be the representative of all that it has always claimed to be. I’m not at this time going to go into many paragraphs of explanation that most won’t want to read, but if you ever want to hear my thoughts on the matter directly, just let me know.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't about "giving away the store". No one has suggested a free lunch.

Please recognize the fundamental contradiction between the banner theme of the ARRL printed on every issue of QST magazine - "devoted exclusivel to amateur radio" and what you wrote above.

Perhaps the League should change the wording on QST to, as you stated, "exclusive member benefit".

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

"Devoted entirely to Amateur Radio"

I interpret this as meaning that the ARRL doesn't have the resources to help out all forms of hobby radio.

The FCC recently re-wrote the CB regulations, so the status of things like sending morse code via CB radio is unclear.
    Should the ARRL be asking the FCC about CB regulations?

N2EY likes this.
  4. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

so you might also want QST for the same price they charge non US hams? If awards mean that much to you join the organization. NRA doesn't give non members access to member benefits, neither does AAA for ANY price. It would severely lessen the value of membership if they did what you ask.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you just made my point. Neither the NRA or AAA claim they support the entire community. It is disingenuous for the ARRL to advertise they do.

NK2U and ND6M like this.
  6. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't waste any more breath on this one, Ron. I got the answer I expected. Hell will freeze over first.

Guess I won't be joining LoTW anytime soon. Both eQSL and Club Log work fine for me.

I'm out.

7. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you, and I also agree that the ARRL should do what it can to push for regulations that benefit ALL hams. In my opinion, any truly good member organization will focus on things that benefit the most people, whether they are members or not. Is this going to make all members happy? Most likely not.

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Devoted entirely to Amateur Radio" has been on the cover of QST for the better part of a century. It was added to differentiate QST from its competition in the days when radio had captured the public imagination as The Next Big Thing. (I think "Amateur Radio" in that motto was "Citizen Wireless" for a spell before the current wording was adopted.)

That said, saying "devoted entirely to Amateur Radio" does not mean the same thing as "devoted to all radio amateurs" or "devoted to all radio amateurs everywhere." It means that the content of QST covers amateur radio and sufficiently related subtopics only, subject to interpretation by League officialdom as enacted by the ARRL HQ staff. It's about the magazine, not necessarily the general operation or inclusiveness of the organization behind it.

Once upon a time, ARRL--in the persons of Hiram Maxim and Charles Stewart, rushing back and forth from Washington, DC, immediately after World War 1--did speak for US amateur radio as a whole in getting the wartime ban (on receiving and transmitting) lifted, which is to say, "Giving US amateur radio any future at all." That's why one of the provisions of the original Amateur's Code, now an anachronism, included the phrase "He owes his amateur radio to the League"--because, in the living memory of all hams under Navy Department/Commerce Department jurisdiction in those days, that statement was undeniably true.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    N0NB likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you want the impossible.

Here's why: No matter what regulations ARRL pushes for, those regulations won't benefit ALL hams. There will always be those who say they will lose out.

Two problems with that one:

1) People join membership organizations that promote THEIR interests.

2) Who decides what "benefits the most people"?

Fun fact:

The majority of US hams today - 50.8% - are Technicians.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Techs want to have great conversations on repeaters. Doesn't matter what band or mode as long as it is easy and affordable.

W9BRD likes this.