ARRL Winter 2019 BoD meeting notes are out

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! Never heard that one....Amazing!

Here's another:

Back in the late 1940s, a ham (call not revealed) looked up various popular, active DX stations that made lots of QSOs and QSLd reliably. He sent them QSLs and IRCs - for QSOs that never happened.

Most of the DX stations simply sent him back a QSL with the same info. Some copied the info on his card without checking their logs; others figured they'd made a mistake when logging and sent him a card anyway.

He got so many DX QSL cards that he was awarded DXCC!

The whole scheme only came to light when some of the DX stations talked to each other and discovered they'd all gotten cards from the same guy, claiming Qs not in their logs. So they alerted ARRL.....who pulled the certificate, and banned him from DXCC forever.

And then there's ol' Don Miller......

-----

Then there's this guy:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/worked-all-states.631343/

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my first clean sweep mug, I didn't have to prove I made the contact. I had to submit a log. They say that the award is based on claimed scores, not confirmed.

3. N2RJ

Their dues are also higher and they don't get the right to vote either.

Personally, I think requiring membership for the popular, meaningful ARRL awards is good practice. The more people who join ARRL in the US, the better, as the numbers bring strength to the organization. If someone can reap key benefits without joining, I don't see how that advances the organization.

N4QX, KB1PA, N5XH and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2RJ

This isn't in the committee reports. It was a motion raised by Director Norton, which was subsequently withdrawn after the CEO said he'd like to handle it as an operational issue.

This issue is still ongoing, mind you and the prices have not been finalized.

And to all who are anxious for this change - please do not go harassing the league staff about it. They don't know and don't have say in the policy.

I already had to ask a member to stop sending angry emails to the staffers at the bureau.

N0NB likes this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't advance the organization. It does, however, benefit the hobby as a whole. Which should we be most interested in?

6. N2RJ

So let's say there was a $55 surcharge (equivalent to one year of ARRL membership, plus $6). Would you then apply for the award? Or would you just join ARRL for $49?

It's not really a money issue for me. It's one of loyalty. The awards programs were designed for members. At one time, DXCC charged absolutely no fees. This changed later on, and I am of the view that maybe they should roll back the fees for members a bit (life members and those who have been a member for X years), but I'm not going to put forward that proposal yet.

But membership has to be part of the deal.

N0NB and N5XH like this.
  7. N2RJ

I am interested in both. But I personally know hams who joined ARRL to take part in the awards program.

My club treasurer said something at our budget meeting -

We charge $10 per year in dues. We ONLY charge dues because the IRS says we have to charge dues. But his point was, you're a member, and you don't want to spend less than $1 per month to be a member of the club, yet reap the benefits. Why not?

ARRL already does a lot for amateur radio in general. This is despite people saying proudly that they will never be members of ARRL. They can't and shouldn't give away the store. Let those who want to take part in exclusive member benefits join.

N0NB, N8OHU, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  8. N2RJ

Foreign members pay more for everything, including cost of postage and awards. Also they pay more for membership.

ARRL is also not their IARU member society that lobbies for them in front of Governmental bodies and has done so since 1915. For US hams it is. That is why foreign members are treated differently. They really don't have skin in the game as US ARRL members do. For many foreign members it's simply a subscription to QST. They can't even take advantage of most of the league's benefits anyway.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But they have the capability to check the logs against each other. And they do.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one?
    I'm not surprised.

Lucky you. Lets hope the rest of the inmates can control themselves.