ad: AxlesAnt-1

ARRL Winter 2019 BoD meeting notes are out

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Jan 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, KJ3N already has validation from the ARRL that he worked all 50 states, and did so without ever joining the organization.

All he had to do was break out the broom... :)

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

True enough.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you mean he got a clean sweep in November SS.....no, it doesn't.

The Pacific section (PAC) covers more than the state of Hawaii. It is possible to get a clean sweep in SS yet never work Hawaii. So a clean sweep broom only proves he worked 49 states.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless the only stations on that year/mode from the Pacific Division are in Hawaii.

But don’t go all Roman and Reign on his parade.

N0NB likes this.
  5. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh oh, Sweepstakes is a contest initiated and officiated by the ARRL! If one doesn't find the League worth supporting, better sit that one out. Likewise Field Day, initiated by ARRL Communications Department Manager Ed Handy, W1BDI, in the 1930s. Better give that one a miss, too. And don't go referring to hams who help others start out as Elmers; that's an invention by the previous W9BRD through "How's DX?" in the pages of QST. But do buy League books--you know, the ones that helped nearly all of us get started and stay started? Just say they're for a friend.

N2EY likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

That statement just helps to verify the difference between the past arrl and todays new and "better" arr.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8, the new DXing mode wouldn't exist without Joe Taylor. I met Joe at the Packrat's ARRL Night near Philly. I had dinner with Joe Taylor and Kay Craigie.

The Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club has been a strong competitor in ARRL VHF contests for decades.

KC8VWM and W9BRD like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How does one prove that?

Remember, not every SS participant sends in a log.

A Clean Sweep does NOT prove WAS.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Do you always have to be such a killjoy that you’d use a sledgehammer to kill a fly? I like you, but really...

Fine.

Technically, strictly speaking, you are correct. However, considering that the vast majority of Pacific Section stations contesting during SS are from Hawaii, that it would be extremely unusual and unlikely (though not impossible) to work ONLY non-Hawaiian stations during SS...

And considering that KJ3N is an honorable man who has indicated in the past at various times that he did actually work at least one KH6 station during that SS run...

If he says that his Clean Sweep mug is proof that he has confirmed WAS without being an ARRL member, that’s good enough for me. It’s not “official” of course, but so what? It’s a light hearted bit of trivia. It’s good enough for Jim, so it’s good enough for me.

If you don’t agree, fine. I’m not going to argue the point any further. Suffice to say... “Lighten Up, Francis!”

WZ7U likes this.
  10. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The good part about not needing external validation is that actuality is Allowed to speak for itself. We bystanders to the experiencer having the experience are just...bystanders. But I will always defend traceability of Fact.

This exchange reminds me of a claim back in the 1980s by a big-time SWBC DXer of a particular self-described "first logging in North America!" Really? And how would one know that, considering, as Jim mentioned for SS, that "not everyone sends in a log"? (As if there were some Centrality keeping track of SWBC loggings, anyway.)

Operating awards are fun. When they become dead-serious fun is, for me, when the fun stops. Even for the Worked All Continents award--six QSLs!--IARU HQ has seen its share of fake cards. For me, though, the story that takes the cake involved pre-WW2 DXCC and a famous Long Island ham entrusted by an Italian DXer--a naval officer suddenly called back home as hostilities flared--with forwarding to 38 La Salle Road the requisite 100+ QSLs to qualify. Some months later HQ did indeed receive his cards--with the call sign of the famous LI ham substituted throughout the lot after creative use of what was known back then as "ink eradicator." (Yes, this story is true; it was told to me by By Goodman, W1DX, who, also involved with DXCC doings back then, mentioned the incident in a prewar "How's DX?" [sans famous call sign]. The guilty party threatened to sue--for a little while.)

That is a story about needing to lighten up, but not this one.

N2EY likes this.