ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL wants to allow encryption on the ham bands!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6TY, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AC0UU

AC0UU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't renew your membership and see how fast you get responses from everyone. This is the MAIN reason I refuse to join ARRL. They don't care about me, you, or most other members who are NOT in their elite group of high ups who are nothing more than a bunch of "yes men" to them. The ARRL is nothing but a big scam out there to take our money and do with what THEY want. Which is usually what they are getting big bucks to support.

Unfortunately those of us that are not winlink users - like the giant boat owners with millions of dollars, do not stand a chance in heck of getting anywhere with them.

And no this isn't a "bash the ARRL" post, it's kind of a - "this is the reason you won't get answers to your questions" post. If you openly supported winlink - the ARRL would answer your emails right away. Probably because they would get them thru winlink. LOL

Steve
    KD8CON

2. AC0UU

Larry - if there needs to be a definition of someone that has the inability to understand the concept of experimentation, I think it to be Larry. I'm not sure that anyone said no experimentation - as this is what ham radio is built on. AS for "us" (amateur radio as a whole) coming up with new modes and protocols - I think we have done that. There are new modes for digital being developed all the time, however, those modes have their "codes" in public so that all can use and understand them. I think this is the where the issue comes into play here. There is no place in amateur radio for commercial codes which everyone doesn't have access to. Isn't part of experimentation creating new ways to utilize the codes we have as well as creating new ones from the old ones? Right now Pactor II and III are limited to expansion by ONLY a single commercial firm and the main use of this is for passing email to and from the internet. There is also a section of Part 97 which forbids this as there is a commercial service or two or three which can be used in it's place. So, in my opinion, you ARE wrong in your comments that those against winlink and pactor transmissions are going against the amateur radio spirit.

Steve
    KD8CON

3. AC0UU

Since when is amateur radio supposed to be used for contacting your business and discussing business over amateur radio. I believe this is also forbidden in part 97. Where do you guys get this information that you can do whatever you want on the ham bands?

Has everyone gone crazy? Or am I one of the elite few that seem to have a comprehension of what ham radio is all about?

Steve
    KD8CON

4. AC0UU

And Larry - although you are correct about this - you also have failed to mention that SCS has openly said they will prosecute ANYONE for making a software decoder for this mode. I guess, this invalidates the fact that it is publicly open doesn't it? It also proves that this code is still meant to obscure the meaning of the transmissions because other amateurs in this "self-policing" service is not allowed to police those transmissions. You can't have it both ways Larry - as much as you would like to.

Steve
    KD8CON

5. AC0UU

Hmmmm. what was that big word you called us? By the way - we have been stating from the beginning that the satellite telemetry was excluded in the codes used to obscure the meaning.... rules. Apparently someone went and told you that we were talking about encrypted comms being illegal.

Hmmm - you only read a few posts and decided to jump in with both feet in your mouth.

Read before saying anything that makes you sound like the group which you have so gently called us - welcome home, Neanderthal!

Steve

6. AC0UU

LOL - that's really funny - 24 years as a tech! And he knows all about HF. I have been a licensed ham since 1994 and in the past 13 years I went from no-code tech to tech plus to general and now finally to extra. I have done a lot of HF digital as well as SSB and SSTV. My thought is this - if he has been a tech since 1983, then he hasn't even tried to do anything else with his license and he has no room to speak on this or any other subject related to HF - he will NEVER be heard there anyway - well.... I'm probably wrong, a tech that is interested in encrypted HF comms only wants it for one reason - to ILLEGALLY work HF without being detected.

And there goes self-policing right out the windows - right?

Steve

7. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

ROT13. Rotate the alphabet by 13 letters. It's the 'joke' encryption. Others here 'solved' it the day it was posted.

Then there's double ROT13, or ROT26.

"This sentence is encrypted by ROT26."

8. N8XD

N8XD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Subtitution Cypher -- I'll keep my $50.  [​IMG]

--Keith

ROT13. Rotate the alphabet by 13 letters. It's the 'joke' encryption. Others here 'solved' it the day it was posted.

Then there's double ROT13, or ROT26.

"This sentence is encrypted by ROT26."[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, KC8RAN, Richard -- I just couldn't find any previous message that exposed the text -- or even a reference to it being solved. I just noticed you kept bullying another ham about it. Before you insult me again, send a link over pointing to the revelation of the plaintext, I'm sure I must have missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.