ad: QSLWorks-1

ARRL Suspending Tours and Guest Visits to Headquarters, W1AW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA1EZ, Mar 16, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM.

Friday (3/13) was the last group that came through, they were a dozen or so in number, from the Warminster Amateur Radio Club in PA. The favorite part of my job here is meeting the people that visit the ARRL Lab. The visitors always leave happy, feeling their membership is worthwhile. Life isn't as happy here, now that HQ is very quiet. Good time to keep testing, though. To naysayers, this is not an ARRL promotion, just my observations.

WB9RRU, K7LZR and W7UUU like this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I spoke with someone last night on 75M who mentioned being in one of the last tours. He raved about the equipment museum "packed with every imaginable rig from the spark gap days to present" and seeing the giant hand carved wooden key on display (the op is into woodworking so this was a highlight). He mentioned wanting to return to see W1AW on his next trip as soon as possible.

I've never met or spoke with someone who didn't thoroughly enjoy their visit to HQ.

WB9RRU, W1BR and WB1GCM like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't the faintest idea what an "onky" is, but you're wrong about the rest. ;)

Anyhow, I said you myself, "Even though this is about the ARRL, surely no one could criticize this. Then a little voice whispered, "Remember, this is the Zed." :D

4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Yes indeed there are. It was ironic humor that someone would have to cancel their vacation because W1AW closed the doors. You wanna break some hearts and hear some real moaning try closing the bars and restaurants. Seen Lost Wages NV lately?

5. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the pleasure of visiting twice, the first time just showed up, the second during the Centennial convention. The guides and people working there could not have been pleasanter and more considerate, both when I was alone and when there was a mass of people. For those who love the hobby it's an outstanding museum and center that is well worth seeing. The biggest thrill was operating from W1AW, what a power house! When things get back to normal, and they will, consider a visit.

WB9RRU and AA1EZ like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ironic humor and sarcasm frequently don't come across too well on this medium. Still waiting for irony and sarcasm emoticons. Sometimes I use an "HTMLese" </sarcasm> end tag on more subtle sarcasm snipes.

Our governor (in CT) has issued executive orders directed at restaurants already - basically take out or delivery only. No sit down dining on premises allowed. I'm not familiar with the orders as they relate to bars. The moaning from customers has been minimal - the moaning from restaurant owners and employees has been significant - and rightly so. The loss of income at those levels of the industry has to be devastating. All of a sudden, that old adage of saving for a rainy day has started to make sense to many - aka keeping a prudent reserve, et al.

I work in manufacturing - powdered metal part fabrication, sintering, and treating - and we've yet to be affected by state or fed directives, other than to practice appropriate hygiene.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    WB9RRU likes this.
  7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Yep they don't teach live below your means anymore. America has gotten soft, especially the young over the last 6 decades. Their grandparents were asked to go to war, now we ask they stay home for two weeks.

After seeing what is happening in China and South Korea right now makes me optimistic because we have got ahead of the curve unlike Italy and Europe. China and South Korea are already recovering. Hopefully the steps we are taking and warmer weather will lessen the severity and shorten the duration. The economy should bounce back quickly like post war events.

WB9RRU likes this.
  8. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the whole country has gone crazy! We should infect all people 16-55 with the virus then after everyone got better or passed away we as a country would not have anything to worry about..

9. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

You're kidding, right?

10. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

No to many cowards. I went into a newly stocked store and like vicious crazed animals they cleared out hand sanitizer/ toilet papar /even rubbing alcohol and aloe all over FEAR?? Really come on people are more dangerous than any virus that ever existed.

ND6M and AD5HR like this.
  11. HL3LMS

HL3LMS Ham Member QRZ Page

12. HL3LMS

HL3LMS Ham Member QRZ Page