ad: MLSons-1

ARRL Suspending Tours and Guest Visits to Headquarters, W1AW

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA1EZ, Mar 16, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA1EZ

AA1EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

03/13/2020

As part of efforts under way to help protect the health and safety of ARRL Headquarters employees and volunteers from the impacts of the coronavirus, ARRL has decided to suspend all tours and guest visits to Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Station W1AW and ARRL Headquarters, effective Monday, March 16. Out of an abundance of caution, this suspension will be in effect until further notice.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our members and their guests who had been planning to visit us in Newington, Connecticut. We feel, however, that this is a necessary precaution and is in keeping with the guidance being provided by federal and local health professionals.

We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as we all endeavor to deal with this difficult public health situation.

2. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Bet that broke someone's heart. I bet he/she , the onky visitor this year is going to jump off a cliff.

3. W1KRI

W1KRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6SAE and AA1EZ like this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh this will crash the whole economy! Noooooooo!

5. WB0ZRD

WB0ZRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the ARRL's message was that they were going to stay open and take a chance on it all you'd chastise them for that too.

WB9RRU, W6SAE, K7LZR and 5 others like this.
  6. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

What, no remote operation?

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's appropriate action.
    I remember my first visit up there when they still had the big Rhombic antenna up. Not much of a station nowadays

W6SAE and W1KRI like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I don't know about that. Three 60' Rohn SSV and one 120' Rohn 65 - all pretty well populated with H/V/UHF aluminum - and wire for lower bands. Three operating studios, 6 or more operating positions. In my world, that's a pretty substantial station. I guess I've lived a sheltered life...

WB9RRU, W1BR and W1KRI like this.
  9. WN1MB

I'm certain more than just a few folks are disappointed. Contrary to contrarians' delusions, many folks still consider Hq and W1AW to be ham radio mecca. And many plan visits to Hq and W1AW around business trips and vacations to the area.

WB9RRU, W6SAE, AA1EZ and 2 others like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No question. Newington isn't on my normal hectic biz travel circuit, but I have a biz associate in Rhode Island and hope to combine a trip so I could have the chance to be a guest operator at W1AW.

I really get tired of "ARRL League hate" posts and threads.

Don't like them? IGNORE THEM. Why soil it for everyone else? SO petty.

Dave
    W7UUU
    Diamond member for years

N7ANN, WB9RRU, W6SAE and 7 others like this.
  11. WN1MB

Let me know if that visit ever comes to pass, Dave, and I'll drive down to Newington. It would be fun meeting you!

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That would really be fun!!! And I do indeed believe it'll come about this summer - assuming all the "stuff going on" permits easy air travel.

I would look forward to that, Jeff. I always enjoy meeting my fellow Zedders :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and WB1GCM like this.
  13. KD2DRS

KD2DRS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh well, they'll be turning away the tour buses. LOL

14. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

We do have tour buses show up at ARRL HQ. A lot of visitors pass through here each year. When all of this settles down, consider a trip to Newington. Stay away, for now.

WB1GCM

W1KRI likes this.
  15. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't know that they give tours ?????????????