ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SSB? Or is it because a standard audio channel on copper is ~3kHz?

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Industry standard? Since when does industry define Part 97 public law?

2.8 KHZ is pretty standard for SSB phone signals, although I prefer 2.6 KHZ myself. For digital stations I believe the maximum bandwith (presently) is 500 HZ.

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for certain circumstances (i.e. 60M), and assuming all other laws/regs are obeyed, there currently is no digi-mode bandwidth limit (USA).

The FCC has been clear about this many times. To do so stifles future innovation. Hopefully the ARRL will let that go, or we'll be regretting it later.

Much like some do our baud-rate limit set decades ago and now they're trying to undo it.

I've used 2k modes quite a few times. And decoded commercial modes 10k wide.

Say NO to sandboxes! :)

KX4O likes this.
  4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is another example that the FCC is against setting a maximum bandwidth limitation.

It's from the 2008 comments of Scott Stone Deputy Chief, Mobility Division of the FCC's in DA 08-1082 (pg 6):

"We also believe that imposing a maximum bandwidth limitation on data emissions would result in a loss of flexibility to develop and improve technologies as licensees’ operating interests change, new technologies are incorporated, and frequency bands are reallocated. Additionally, we believe that amending the amateur service rules to limit the ability of amateur stations to experiment with various communications technologies or otherwise impeding their ability to advance the radio art would be inconsistent with the definition and purpose of the amateur service. Moreover, we do not believe that changing the rules to prohibit a communications technology currently in use is in the public interest."

DL6MAA and KX4O like this.