ad: w5yi

ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

A picture is worth 1000 words:

data.jpg

Any questions?

2. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bandwidth has zilch to do with symbol rate. Which is *all* the underlying rulemaking petition sought to liberalize. (It actually sought to curtail bandwidth to prevailing commercial standards.)

All other things (including bandwidth) being equal, faster symbol rates imply less duty cycle and less interference potential. Much of the advocacy for the status quo is self-defeating.

3. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

No Further Questions your honor.. I have all the evidence I need. --

4. N4QX

Not quite. There is a bandwidth restriction to the latter type of operation, right there at the end of the copied FCC order:

5. N9LYA

Reread... That is for Section 97.221 (c) Note their use of the words... OTHER FREQUENCIES .. (c) does not apply to the Frequencies spelled out in (b) ..

If they operate in the Frequencies listed in b, c does not apply.

Seems the ARRL may not be the only ones not understanding..

97.221 Automatically controlled digital station.

(a) This rule section does not apply to an auxiliary

station, a beacon station, a repeater station, an earth station,

a space station, or a space telecommand station.

(b) A station may be automatically controlled while

transmitting a RTTY or data emission on the 6 m or shorter

wavelength bands, and on the 28.120-28.189 MHz, 24.925-24.930

MHz, 21.090-21.100 MHz, 18.105-18.110 MHz, 14.0950-14.0995 MHz,

14.1005-14.112 MHz, 10.140-10.150 MHz, 7.100-7.105 MHz, or 3.620-

3.635 MHz segments.

(c) A station may be automatically controlled while

transmitting a RTTY or data emission on any other frequency

authorized for such emission types provided that:

(1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station

under local or remote control; and

(2) No transmission from the automatically controlled

station occupies a bandwidth of more than 500 Hz.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There you go again. Applying logic, factual analysis, and reason to the discussion.

7. N4QX

Concur on this point, but you said all other responding to interrogation could do so outside of the 221(b) bands (emphasis added).

There are two elements to gain the advantage of subsection (c): responding to interrogation and maximum bandwidth. The maximum bandwidth element makes the claim of "all" a stretch.

8. N9LYA

Hi QX... On my cell phone.. Can you copy the text where I wrote all..
    I think what I wrote was all other frequencies (meaning all other frequencies other then those listed in b)
    That's other digital mode frequencies.. :)
    73 Jerry

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  9. N9LYA

Both examples look like they on Deaths Door Step.. :)

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the long delay, and catch-up, but there's more to it than that. 1. The former FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement had many inform him of abuses, but nothing was done to address earlier complaints. 2. The present SCE likely consults with the retired former SCE, and her reaction to our multiple pages of egregious examples was to tell us to 'file it in an ongoing Petition record to address it.' 3. I can't prove this, but ARSFI/Winlink is a 501C3 and may have contributed as an organization to ARRL. Last year, for example, I seem to recall about $100k of donations to charitable organizations, but none identified. One may have been ARRL, for all I know, since it, too, is a 501c3. I recall seeing a record where a Winlink honcho donated $10K and marked it in honor of Winlink.

When (not if) a tort attorney finds out that they've been broadcasting incoming emails taken directly off the Internet automatically, and someone was damaged through misuse of contained information, the dollars will roll. Corporation status may result in Director/shareholder liability in excess of assets. Maybe it's not too late to form a Florida LLC, to limit their liability.

They ought to carefully read the ECPA. Kissing up to the Department of Homeland Security may not be a defense. Nor would be the ambitious goals of Sherril and Waterman to gain permission to encrypt it on the ham bands. They can encrypt all they want on Part 80, Part 95 and NTIA HF and VHF/UHF channels. But, that isn't transmitting in the Amateur Service which is considered equivalent to announcing it on broadcast radio and TV. Dissemination to the masses......

KX4O, K0IDT and NL7W like this.