ad: chuckmartin

ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a clue. 18USC2707
    (a)Cause of Action.—

Except as provided in section 2703(e), any provider of electronic communication service, subscriber, or other person aggrieved by any violation of this chapter in which the conduct constituting the violation is engaged in with a knowing or intentional state of mind may, in a civil action, recover from the person or entity, other than the United States, which engaged in that violation such relief as may be appropriate. Et. seq.

Verizon has it's neck stuck out a mile, frankly. And, perhaps so does ARSFI/Winlink. Suppose someone uses a credit card number or account number found on its "viewer" or from an intercepted email? Sure, the illicit user is in trouble, but it's the civil side that won't be comfortable..... Believe me, KX4O is a more appropriate source than me, and it looks like unless Winlink goes to a "web page form of amateur radio message" where it is clearly stated that anything sent will be subject to widespread disclosure, that they're on the hook..... While you could say that the amateur operator end is sufficiently aware, but not the sender of the email that comes to Winlink via the Internet...... Verizon could argue that 47USC605(a) protects them from disclosure, but what effort have they gone to, when they could have encrypted their bridge quite legally.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    W4MHZ and N0TZU like this.
  2. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

The latest filing from Rappaport is really quite disappointing. In it they "double down" on many of their erroneous claims, ones that have been disproven long ago, and disproven in an open manner where anyone with an ounce of integrity could verify it for themselves. I can't believe that the FCC is going to take their claims seriously.

There are certainly issues with Winlink that have needed to be addressed, but when the Rappaport filing begins with such an apparently deliberate distortion of the facts (and I'm being charitable here), it's hard to take the rest of it seriously.

N9LYA, W0PV, DL6MAA and 1 other person like this.
  3. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a mighty fine idea for WL or any other messaging portal into the ham radio realm... hmmm....

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

And that’s just it. This isn’t or shouldn’t be about Winlink. Because if the vocal minority somehow suceeds in killing Winlink... another messaging platform will rise to take it’s place.

So it shouldn’t be about JUST Winlink, but the misuse or potential misuse of ANY messaging platform.

W4MHZ, KX4O, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

It might work if anyone bothered to read it first before posting an email. Everyone that's read the Microsoft terms of service please hold up your hand. Currently the ham side of Winlink messaging doesn't give me a warm fuzzy either, after some of the things found through the Winlink viewer--e.g., T-shirt guy (ham) and pizza girl, Rambo (ham) and Herpes girl. No, I will not post any of that here it was bad enough the first time around. If the ham side is ignorant of the rules and openness of amateur radio, then there's not much hope an internet source is going to read, understand, and abide by a posted ToS. The amateur station that a message originates from is still on the hook for vioaltions.

KX4O likes this.
  6. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry but had to post this where the date is added by me...
    [​IMG]
    Wonder what's up?

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know, don't care, but the timing is a little odd in light of recent events.

8. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The WINLINK Website is inconsequential to the operations of the Winlink CMS's another words is not a requirement. The Website like any website can have issues.. the WINLINK CMSs continue on reliable, due to redundancies. The Website will return. Under Maintenance means the probably updating the site.. or fixing and issue.

9. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Four invalid arguments:
    1. We need the change because we want it
    2. We want it because we want it
    3. There are great technical arguments for wanting what we don't need
    4. It's not about WINLINK.

W6EM and K0IDT like this.