ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You are miss quoting me. I suggested the FCC approach them with “extreme caution.” With the data I provided that is warranted. That is not it all what you said.

Is it right to misquote people?

Let’s leave alone your other accusation, that is not appropriate for this forum.

The goal is to build consensus, before conflict. And by honoring other peoples writings with cogent and factually based critique, we help build consensus.

I have honored collaboration at every point! By Janice and Ron and any others involved.

2. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh, but you do attack the person by your choice of words. You really need to apologize, start with everyone on QRZ, the FCC drones that had to read your filings, W6EM, AB2RA.....especially her, after your shabby treatment of her
    in this https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10042734814100/InconvenientCorrections.pdf There's so much you attacked her for it goes beyond boorish behavior. For example on page 23 regarding call sign verification by Winlink:
    "To solve this problem, Carson then proposes sending post cards all over the world , to the physical
    addresses of persons in over 300 nations, perhaps to ask if they are really an amateur radio operator, or
    did they know their call may have been hijacked? This is a quaint and certainly very "speedy"
    suggestion, designed to frustrate legitimate usage by legal persons at sea or elsewhere on land, having
    perhaps only recently obtained their license."

Do you have even the faintest clue as to how the ARRL verifies callsigns for LOTW ? Here's a hint it involves postcards for US licensees and submission of several pieces of documentation for non-US licensees. Winlink, load the software, log in, even over an RF path if that's still allowed, with a made up password, and then the CMS sends a return email (over RF again) with a permanent password. Would you care to tell everyone which system is more
    secure and not subject to the known piracy problems on the Winlink system? In Lor's own words pirates can escape detection for weeks.

You're hopeless Gordon, enjoy this week, many of us will, and I hope you took my advice to invest in spare laptop keyboards, you're gonna need them :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to side with either argument, but telling you the dinner you just fixed isn't tasty isn't the same as saying the cook isn't worthy of the kitchen.

Don't take attacks on your viewpoint as attacks on you. We all love our opinions, but that doesn't mean those that disagree with them think you're a bad person.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Ron, you were making my point. The section you quoted clearly critiques her proposed solution as you nicely point out.

There is not one word and any critique of her person or character.

And you proved it, by attempting to demonstrate that the solution on critiqued is used by other people. You discussed the solution, you did not mention anyone’s character.

And thereby you demonstrated the appropriateness of my discussion as well.

Thanks.

5. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a recent poster, in addition to myself instructed you: it is all about choice of words. I'll certainly make another filing, if for no other reason, to correct your "circular" citations.
    And, I'm not the only one. Your "introductory" attempt at complimenting two people for accomplishing some change in some stubborn Winlink folk, however, is lost in your specific and condescending later words.

As I said, you haven't heard the last from me or those who seek either no translation through compression at all or via a standard table resident in firmware that is acknowledged by the commission in 97CFR309(a) as yet another acceptable SPECIFIED code. I think I may yet see a change to Winlink's software, and not just you adopting someone else's Linux LZHUF program to decompress hex strings. Nice try. Did Peter write his own version of that subroutine or did he copyright yours?

6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

With the proper software, and hardware, every single thing that is sent by WINLINK can be read. That’s because there is no key, no encryption. None whatsoever. One can attempt to draw parallels, such as saying that both systems use electricity provided by electrons. But that is superfluous

The ARRL also made it exquisitely clear, and some people are just having troubles dealing with the fact that nobody buys their false arguments anymore....

No encryption
    Not unique

And the proof is in appendix five and appendix seven and in future appendices about to come. Prove me wrong! Don’t waste time arguing here, just read appendix five and appendix seven!

Providing objective facts and truth is building collaboratioN.

W4RAV likes this.
  7. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I thought. I used Winlink with MARS, and never saw a message I couldn't decode.

Kinda reminds me of the Pactor (4?) folks who complain they can't read the messages. Because they don't have the gear to do so!

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee please slow down a bit here.

I don’t even understand some of your assertions.

It is impossible for Peter to copyright public domain software!! None of us can copyright public domain software. This stuff has been in public domain for 30 years.

Secondly, you are confusing techniques with systems. 309A applies to techniques.

As has been explained many times, the following our systems, not techniques:

Fbb
    Pat
    Winlink
    DRATS
    FLDGI

So I don’t think there can be any possible answer to a question that is that mistaken. 309a applies to pactor, to clover....., not WINLINK or PAT

Do you understand the difference?

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What point? That your choice of words is meant to demean and diminish another persons viewpoint? You manage to accomplish that in almost everything you post Gordon.
    I'm back to a Gordon free zone, sorry but you're just a hopeless case and I don't have time to waste on this anymore. Look at the bright side you win, you're right.....footnote that for the FCC they'll enjoy knowing I said you were right.

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

There never has been any encryption. And WINLINK was never unique. Anyone who read about it knew that it merely took up FBB systems.!!!!

How could you possibly call something unique that is copying a previous system?

It boggles the mind. And yet intelligent people said these things.....

And When politely called on them, they get angry.