ad: MyersEng-1

ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

"Sticking finger in ear" is smething my grandkids try.....but hey, it is a FREE NATION and no one forces anyone to be involved. You wanna read this crazy stuff, you go right ahead!

N9LYA likes this.
  2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'm running spread spectrum (or something close???) right now on 2.395 GHz. Its a 5 Mbit data path to a friend. But I might be wrong. Ubiquiti. You can buy it right off Amazon like I did. My record is 6 kilometers.

N9LYA and KB9MWR like this.
  3. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think its presently permitted below 30 MHz. (And that likely should change) But it is other places. It would be tough to "listen" with conventional gear anyway :)

K2NCC likes this.
  4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, outside of ham radio Spread Spectrum is common. Bluetooth is a frequency hopping type of spread spectrum, Wifi is more of a Direct Sequence type. DMR/Motortrbo is a fixed frequency type of TDMA spread spectrum. Your cell phone likely uses CDMA spread spectrum.

Cognitive radio, a broader term, has a lot of future a head of it.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

The uBitx gives a way to do it if you are willing to excise the crystal filter and install whatever system you prefer to allow you whatever bandwidth you like.......but the number of people who are willing to do that level of development....isn't very large......

N9LYA and KB9MWR like this.
  6. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Every time the FCC deny bandwidth limits, they tell us why.
    (Which for some reason doesn't seem to convince the ARRL to let it go.)

Example:
    "We also believe that imposing a maximum bandwidth limitation on data emissions would result in a loss of flexibility to develop and improve technologies as licensees’ operating interests change,new technologies are incorporated, and frequency bands are reallocated."
    FCC DA 08-1082

Doing so would limit our evolution. Some SSB commercial modes that we might experiment with someday are already 10k or more wide. (i.e. DRM which sounds like FM stereo on shortwave.)

YES to greater baud/signal rates. NO to bandwidth limits!

KX4O and KB9MWR like this.
  7. K2NCC

8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

And I would like to point out that the ARRL isn't going to unilaterally support something that hasn't been implemented in the IARU band plans. Right now, none of the regional band plans allow for any bandwidth much beyond 2.7-2.8 kHz for digital, so until that changes, I do not expect the ARRL to budge on the bandwidth limit.

9. K2NCC

We have a lot of freedoms in the US that other countries don't. Besides, ARRL or IARU band plans are suggestions, not laws.

Still, there's no reason for the ARRL to ask for further restrictions. In most of our spectrum, we have no bandwidth limit (assuming all other rules obeyed), so why ask to be put in such a sandbox if it's not really necessary? (rhetorical question)

Anyway, point is, if we limit ourselves today, we'll just be asking for it back in the future. Kinda like some are now about data rates we imposed decades ago.

I have a feeling it's more about "politics" than it is about evolving our hobby.

N0TZU and KX4O like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Australia is allowing 8, 16, or 100 kHz BW on HF depending on band. So there’s precedent for not following IARU.

K2NCC and KX4O like this.