ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ria... I been silent for a while.. read the recommendation.. Not totally opposed to it.. a Good read.
    Riddle me this.. And I will drop the subject..
    So the recommendation
    How can it be an ACDS subband if... Stations wider then 500Hz and regardless of auto or not must operate side by side with 500 hz stations in the same so called ACDS subband.. Why is it called an ACDS subband instead of just the HAVEN.. Lot easier to remember.. and less confusing... since it is not just for ACDSs, be a good thing...

Just asking... 73 Jerry N9LYA

KX4O and ND6M like this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

That was the first thing that I thought also.

Am I going to have to "slug it out" with an automated robot winlink station for my P to P communications?

3. N9LYA

Sure sounds like it... However, No slugging here.. I have full enhanced busy detection running on all Ports/Modes on HF.. Both Conventional BBS S&F as well as WINLINK Messaging. I have noted over the last couple of years there has been less and less Winlink Traffic? Not sure what's up with that..
    My fear there will either be a QRM Party going on or a lot of people waiting out their busy detectors... I modified my Configuration for IF/WHEN this happens.. Saved a way for that day.

I am not sure why what we had for the last 35 years was not ok all of a sudden.

73 Jerry N9LYA

ND6M likes this.
  4. N9LYA

I wish to point out, to any and all interested hams, citizens, People worldwide, snowflakes and crabapples. By no means do you have to be an ARRL Official Observer, or Volunteer Monitor in order to monitor or report Rules Violations.
    I wanted to express this as we are all tasked with self policing our BANDS.. And anyone can be listening.
    Report to the operator if no change report to the FCC..
    Neither this group or the ARRL can tell you otherwise.
    Lets make this FAIR for ALL. No one is outside the microscope. The FCC may not have the man power. The ARRL is only one small group of hams, growing smaller by the day, unfortunantly. We need to make an impact on how Ham Radio Operates.
    I have now dedicated blocks of my personal time where I will be jumping around the ham bands from DC to Daylight taking notes. Making recording and if needed.. Sending messages to stations that are possibly in violation as a reminder. Then if it continues.. The reports will be Sent to the FCC.

Lets make Ham Radio Great Again!!!!

73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA
    MHRGA

:)

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the really cool things about the winlink kerfuffle is that multiple peopl e ARE checking through their distributted, networked, multi-modal receiver and clicking the "report" button. Not terribly difficult any more to find folks not following the Terms and Conditions. But all that help is much appreciated -- and the WORD IS GETTING OUT. You can see it in the statistics, which are dropping like a rock. Now....there is no other portion of amateur radio with documented compliance like winlink!

Attached Files:

N9LYA likes this.
  6. N9LYA

Know this reminder.. ANY ONE Can monitor our communications any band any mode.. They are not required to be a HAM nor a part of the ARRL.. There are already a lot of people monitoring on HF.
    You are not required to be an ARRL monitoring Station not by any means....... Eyes are watching EVERYONE...

7. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Harsh, dude. Harsh.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2019
    N4QX likes this.
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly hope not. There are a lot of non-WINLINK nets on 80 meters (and a few on 60) that use modes wider than 500 Hz. for passing traffic. Most of the traffic is 500 Hz wide, but there are exceptions. These nets operate outside the ACDS - indeed, right below it by a few hundred Hz.

ND6M likes this.
  9. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

The BoD vote was not well thought out or researched, or they would have known that putting incompatible modes together would cause problems until such time as they redid the band segments in a follow-up rulemaking petition. Leaving things as they are, and removing the data rate restriction, is actually the right way to do it, though I'm sure some will disagree.

10. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meanwhile, you have the promoters of newer digital modes picking “suggested” frequencies for their proponents, with little regard to the existing band-plan(s) or users.

So one can argue that waiting for a modified band-plan before other changes are proposed may be a delaying tactic to prevent the changes in the first place.

Keeping in mind that any changes to the rules won’t happen instantaneously... there will be weeks if not months, base on past actions by the FCC... I’d say that it would be wise to start working on the new band plans now, as it will no doubt take a lot longer to get a consensus (or at least a majority opinion) than it will be for the FCC to get around to dealing with the NPRM.

KD8TUT and K0IDT like this.