ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife says I hold a grudge too long, I prefer to think of it as 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

He doesn't live in my state, and geographically the division is quite large, but at least around here he's been doing a credible imitation of Casper the ghost. Anyway, I thought that's why we had Section Managers; to carry our thoughts back to the Division leadership?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I think about this matter at this point. The die is cast and the Commission will do as they wish. There's no point in bothering my Director about it now.

Yeah, I know. It's only the arrogance that annoys me. We've been friends a long time; in fact I think it was over five years before we discovered we were both hams. For him to suddenly become so high and mighty since his election bothers me. It's OK though, we're still friends.

Ha! Reminds me of when I sat for me last exam. The proctor VE refused to allow me to keep a blank sheet of paper once the exam started. Since I couldn't work a complex conjugate problem in my head I missed one question.

Enough of the Hijack. Again I wish you the best.

2. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You could say that, or you could say that the league is an important player, representing a small number of well-connected people, pushing agendas through deals cut in smoke filled rooms, while average members are ignored.

Hopefully the 'new board' is able to quash that.

ND6M and W6EM like this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m not an expert to know. I do know that I disagreed with their anti-transparency efforts a year or two ago and I did so rather vocally.

What concerns me is the relative ignorance of the vast number of amateurs today. I teach license classes all the way through extra, and even people I have gotten through the extra don’t really understand a great deal.

So it is rather easy for some people to pull the wool over their eyes

Get the facts out first, and then consensus is a lot easier to develop. It’s much more important to get to the facts that it is what my particular views are! So if you can show me data, such as an NTSB Report, I’m much more interested in your views.

There were several assertions in this particular argument that were really nothing more than vapor

Gordon

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome!

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bombastic. That's the word I was looking for. Perfect.

ND6M, KA0HCP and W6EM like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes "Appeal to Conspiracy". That's always a good manuever or put-down. :)

KX4Z likes this.
  7. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

While messing around with the various versions of LZHUF out there, I found what appears to be the original author's original code with header...

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/t...23a18e4fb13a7/eon/eon/src/util/lzss-c/lzhuf.c

The header...

/**************************************************************
    lzhuf.c
    written by Haruyasu Yoshizaki 11/20/1988
    some minor changes 4/6/1989
    comments translated by Haruhiko Okumura 4/7/1989
    **************************************************************/

/*
    LZHUF.C (c)1989 by Haruyasu Yoshizaki, Haruhiko Okumura, and Kenji Rikitake.
    All rights reserved. Permission granted for non-commercial use.
    */

Emphasis added.

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Fascinating. WINLINK of course isn't commercial, so doesn't matter. The companies who hijacked his work for diskk drives??? Differrent story. The copyright has probably long long expired now. International copyrights very tough to enforce. Some of the books that I've written, which are copyrighted with specific permisssions, i've found ALL OVER THE INTERNET....as have most authors.

Have you made further progress?
    I want to start putting together a pactor - raspberry system. Can you give some details of how you have yours set up??? It might save me some time. I think I can get the linbpq running (after some gnashing of teeth) and then have a chance at beginning to code some. It would be a lot easier if some PROFESSIONALS would work on this......

Cheers
    Gordon

9. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed that. And I would agree that the one at a time approach would be best if it was leading to a prompt productive outcome. Sadly it seems these rule modification requests drag out much longer than they should in my opinion. You know what they say; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. And if by chance some how this acceptable to someone, they really need look at how technology is evolving faster than we are able to get the regulations modified. And much in the same boat, intellectual property rules are in my opinion are also impeding technology.

So anyway I say when the FCC asks (like they did in this case), make them a list of issues. Perhaps there are some simpler requests that they feel are more pressing and can be hammered out quicker than whatever one single issue you are presenting. The name of the game to me is whatever method provides the most efficient means to reform some of these decades old regulations that are simply unattractive to newcomers and to our duty to advance the technical art.

K0IDT and KX4O like this.
  10. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

If people would quit making mountains out of molehills, things might speed up, not to mention looking at what's actually happening instead of focusing on some imagined event that's based on misreading of things submitted in FCC proceedings.

N4QX likes this.