ARRL report - No Consensus Reached for FCC on “Symbol Rate” Issues

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And then who can predict what the FCC will do? The ARRL can only express it’s own opinion. Unpleasant outcomes have occurred in the past. The league’s stature will be adjusted by the quality, and wisdom of its proposals. But life will go on.

Gordon

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you downloaded ARDOP Chat, or arim, which uses John G8BPQ's C port of ARDOP for the modem? Those have a 200 hz bandwidth option, and since the entire project is open source, anyone that wants a narrower option can get the source and create it.

KX4O likes this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. Wonder if I could get it to work back in WINLINK? I think that would be an advantage. But the synchronization that FT8 and JS8 both use, would add more DB, wouldn’t it?

I’m just remembering the status of hams deployed during hurricane Michael and trying to come up with better solutions to combat some of the problems they had. We’ve examined that from lots of different viewpoints here in Florida.

Gordon

4. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL's opinion seems to be weighted rather heavily when it comes to amateur radio. Certainly, the League is viewed as a subject matter expert. Of course - the FCC can do anything. It is hard to predict what they will. However, if we recommend nothing then it is likely that they will just do what they originally planned. Why give us a 90 day pause anyway? It's because they want to hear what the League and by extension the various parties involved had to say.

N0TZU and KX4Z like this.
  5. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate that, and I get it.

Frankly, I didn't have any intention of renewing my membership last time, but the bill came and my wife paid it. Not because I feel that strongly about winlink (although I absolutely don't think it has any place in the amateur bands, it's just not that important to me), but rather my disgust came from the response I got from my director when I brought it up. It was more or less "Shut up and pay your dues. We'll do the thinking around here." Particularly because I know him professionally and we have worked together in the past. I do have a couple of degrees in engineering and I'm not a complete dumbass; I can usually tell when someone is peeing on my boot and trying to convince me it's raining.

I don't know a thing about our (RMDiv) current director, maybe he's different. But my current SM surely expects members to toe Newington's line.

I wish you the best, and from my little corner of the world it looks like it's going to be an uphill battle for you. My hat is off to you for trying to make the league a better place.

KX4O likes this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Thank you for being a member, and even if you are not in my division, I listen to concerns from any ARRL member and ham. Even those outside of my division. But you can reach out to your director as he should be your first line.

Your SM does not make policy, by the way. He/she carries out the field organization duties but has really no vote in policy matters.

As far as it being an uphill battle, it always has been and I really don't expect it to be otherwise. My first experience with the League was when the President basically blew me off for an issue I had with sitting a license exam (I did not have an SSN at the time). But that's a different story.

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

The league is a very important player, representing a lot of wisdom and a lot of people. I wish them well in trying to reach wise decisions.

8. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

A good compromise is Robust Packet at 500 Hz, FEC heavy (designed for APRS beaconing really) and still ARQ in the AX.25 context. Fully supported by BPQ32 too. We use it on our 80m port for VAPN. Not it's no fast, but is much better than HF Packet.

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Surprise! I guess I hadn’t really paid attention to some of those packet types! Now I understand some of the “100” figures that showed up often. — I would never have guessed that WINLINK had a 200 Hz wide mode! That makes it just about the same as RTTY.... Space wise anyway.

I will have to do a bit of learning to see if you can restrict it to that.

Thank you for pointing this out to me!!

Some of the worst problems experienced by haM radio efforts during hurricane Michael had nothing to do with high speed/bandwidth, it was simply the lack of formal traffic, which would’ve been better tracked, better document it, and might have made the lives of a bunch of people in shelters better a lot quicker

Ec001 does a good job of addressing this, and our section emergency coordinator in North Florida and others in the state are working hard on this right now

Gordon

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

(Laugh). Yes I know you guys like that, the problem is it cost a lot more money to do than just regular soundcard modes!! I presume it is working well for you!

I work with a lot of retired hams who don’t have a lot of money to put into this. When I come up with $20 solutions, they are much more interested.

But Thank you for the mention!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019