ARRL Releases Q&A's on Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my understanding that there are code of conduct provisions/restrictions that apply to board members, too, even though they may not be employees, strictly speaking.
    Once you think about it (and stop laughing at the irony), it actually explains a lot.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticeably absent from this discussion is any attempt to substantively contradict the critiques of this legislation by the 'regular' proponents. Silence speaks loudly.

K1OIK likes this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ODV/ARRL Code of Conduct.pdf

Was discussed in a thread a few months ago: ARRL policy on Board Governance.....

Here's the parts that could be considered controversial in the current context:

8. SUPPORT OF BOARD DECISIONS: A Board member must accept and publicly support Board decisions.

a. A Board member, as a leader in Amateur Radio, is encouraged to be an ambassador and an advocate for ARRL and, subject to the Confidentiality Standard of this Code of Conduct, to publicly promote the activities and actions of the organization with the ARRL membership. In doing so, a Board member must act at all times faithfully to the intent of the Board as expressed in its official statements, and should not reinterpret or re-characterize the Board’s actions to reflect his/her own view or the views of any other Board Member.

b. While having the right and responsibility to exercise independent judgment and to express dissenting opinions during Board deliberations, a Board member also has the obligation outside the Boardroom to respect and support final decisions of the Board, even when the Board member dissented from the majority view.

c. A Board member who does not support a Board decision may express his/her opposition within the Board in an appropriate manner.

d. A Board member must not take actions publicly or with respect to the ARRL membership that have the purpose or effect of undermining or discrediting the decisions or actions of the Board.

e. If a Board member is ultimately unable to accept a Board decision and is unable to influence a change, the Board member should consider voluntarily resigning his/her position on the Board.

f. A Board member may not publicly oppose a Board action prior to the effective date of his or her resignation from the Board.

K0IDT and KK5JY like this.
  4. KK5JY

This is essentially what was explained to me when I requested that my regional board members oppose ARPA.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's nothing in that policy against a Director trying to get the ARRL to reverse or change a prior decision. He/she just cannot do it publically. You can ask your Director to try to get the ARRL Board to withdraw ARPA. If he's saying he cannot do that, then he's either misinterpreting the policy, or hiding behind it.

6. KK5JY

I don't know what other dynamics were at work between that conversation and today, but not long after that conversation, the board took a vote and offered unanimous support for HR555 in its current form. So in the end, it doesn't matter what I was told, why I was told, or what was going on internally -- the board became irrelevant for offering accountability, dissent, or resistance to League-sourced bad legislation. The only way ARPA is going to get shut down is from forces outside the League.

7. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

AH!~ But you must remember that you said in another thread that (paraphrasing) you were in favor of legislation to RESTRICT the use of mobile communications by amateurs.;) I got the idea that you WANTED hams to not use their mobile radios!:confused: Remember??:D We can't have it both ways, now, can we?:confused::) And it is part and parcel of FCC's Brief (91-36) that agreed that 'unrestricted" mobile use of amateur radio was a GOOD thing!:D Cake crumbs on our bib, or NO cake crumbs at all? Having our cake and eating it, too, and all that rot! LOL!:cool::D:p

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it an error of commission that you don't differentiate between portability and using a radio while driving?

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Employer terms and written agreements with language that is of course negotiable,... which is what we are doing here.

I wonder how many employer contracts have been modified and changed through a negotiation and proposal process before?

1.. 5 .. 100.. 400.... millions perhaps?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you can't tell me you know how to spell every single word in the English language, or that you don't miss one here and there!:) In my case, I was actually quite good at languages, spelling, verse/composition. My first grade teacher was from the "old school" as we say these days--I mean, REALLY old school. Ms. Biggerstaff could've been right out of one of those old portraits you see at Cracker Barrel. She had the frilly blouse with ruffled collar, long, long skirt, lace-up "old maid" shoes, AND the cameo pin at her throat. She WAS the classic "old maid school teacher".

I may have a tendency towards languages and spelling, but it was her effort, mainly, that helped me excel at it. She used to tell us, "If you can't spell a word, break it down into parts (syllables), and SOUND-IT-OUT! IF that doesn't work, write it out, and look at each part, then put it together. Chances are, even if it still doesn't look right, it will BE right"! She was right most of the time. When one left her class (graduated), you KNEW the material. And. OH! Was she a good disciplinarian! She wasn't "mean", but she had rules, and you had best mind her. Talking in class, chewing gum, not paying attention, OH BOY! LOOK OUT!:eek: Minor infractions would earn you a sound thump behind your ear. More severe "acting up", making faces, and other disobedience, she would bend your hand back and paddle your hand with a ruler! OOCH, OUCH, OOOOOOOOOO!:( I got caught one time mocking her mannerisms, and THAT earned me a trip to the principal's office for a paddling. I guess she didn't like that very much, eh?:confused: Today, they'd say it's "child abuse". NOT! IMHO!

Now don't you be correcting me, boy!;) LOL!;)