ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Releases Q&A's on Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5XS, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W9RLG

W9RLG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I got it in my mailbox. I sent it back with my answer that I don't really give a hoot. I certainly don't feel obligated for those who knowinly being hams, moved into a housing area with restrictions that they probably knew about and then expect others to have to bow down to their desires. I do how ever feel bad for those who lived in one of those areas and then became hams, but on the other side of the coin they also knew the restrictions were there and then expect other to again let them have their way. Just my two cents worth, and that isn't worth much. I have my flame retardent suit on so go ahead and flame it won't change my mind.

Bob

KE0JJG, W8MW, NK2U and 4 others like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Another HOA thread!

N4GKS, NK2U, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Here we go again"

NK2U, WA7PRC, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad that they are fighting back against the misinformation and disinformation propagated by the ARRL-bashers. Of course, law is not science and there will be differences of opinion, but there's clear League-bashing going on in the anti-ARPA side.

KC8VWM, WA8FOZ and NK7Z like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And it made me so glad that I just let my League membership lapse.

It is apparent that the League has shaped their CC&R policy around one specific part of the country, and ignored others. Many of the statements made in that "FAQ" are simply not true in our part of the country. I personally know hams whose current antenna rights will be crushed by ARPA if it passes, and it's all because of the erroneous assumptions that ARRL is making, that were summed up fairly well in that email.

But I appreciate the ARRL reminding me to yet again contact my Senators about this:

Senator Lankford,

I must ask you to please OPPOSE S.1534, the "Amateur Radio Parity Act."

This piece of legislation is so poorly written that it will do the opposite of what it claims. The bill contains no effective protections of the property rights of FCC licensees, as the sponsors claim. Indeed, the ARPA will actually remove property rights from many licensees right here in Oklahoma.

I myself am an FCC licensee, holding both commercial and amateur licenses. I personally know other FCC licensees whose property rights will be severely curtailed by this legislation -- specifically, the right to put a reasonable antenna on their own property for personal use.

This legislation needs to be rewritten to provide the protections that its proponents claim, and to remove the harmful provisions that have been so carelessly added to it. Until that is done, I must ask you to please OPPOSE this legislation.

Thank you for your consideration.

Matt Roberts
    FCC Licensee: KK5JY

Done. :cool:

K3BR, NK2U, K4MZR and 1 other person like this.
  7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the tl;dr:

Hams: The ARPA gives HOA extra strength to obstruct ham antennas and puts more burdens on hams to fight for them.
    ARRL: Don't be absurd. They never really do that stuff you're worried about, at least not that we can see, so why are you worried?
    Hams: Because the ARPA gives statutory approval to all that stuff
    ARRL: Shut up and don't worry about it. We can't see that it has ever happened so therefore it never will.

ARRL up to its usual tricks.

AD0AC, NK2U, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I really have to wonder why Newington is pushing this exact bill, even with its flaws.

If ARRL had put as much care into the wording of ARPA as they put into the numerous webpages and documents explaining ARPA, the ARPA could have been a great bill that helped everybody and harmed nobody.

NK2U likes this.
  9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suspect money had something to do with it.

NK2U, K4PIH, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong.

KC8VWM likes this.