ad: MyersEng-1

ARRL REBUTS DENIAL OF INTERFERENCE FROM BPL TRIAL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You've tried to find out about me, and now, tell us more about yourself; for example, why you are no longer employed by public utility companies, you know, the industry that's pushing BPL? Why are you so against BPL? Is it just because you are a ham? Set us straight so there is no ambiguity nor fuzzy thought.

Did you leave on good terms? What sort of bias might you have towards an industry in which you no longer have gainful employment?

Give us your perspective so we can understand your motivation properly, and therefore will not misconstrue your intent.

And, is this your theme song?

"Take a few lies
    And what a surprise
    Mix with a small smidgeon of truth...
    Put'em together and whatya got?
    Lee's bippity boppity POO!"

Chip N1IR

2. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm simply amazed that you don't do too well in the reading comprehension department.

Were you 'blue at 42'?  [​IMG]

Let's just say that I consult, at this point.

By the way, you've been referring to 'your' company at times.  Why is it that you aren't its CEO, if it's your company?  I'm still waiting to hear your BU bye bye story.

Have another cigar by the fire.

Keeping a copy of your exchange (for the record).

Lee
    W6EM

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure!

My ship came in at 48. Not 42, silly person.

We Cohens retire early. My dad retired at 57 and my brother retired at 53.

It's a mental thing Lee; the transition from you HAVE to work to you WANT to work.

I like working. It's my cake and ales.

I left BU before things got crazy there. Three transitions of president in 3 years. Could see it coming. Believe me; they wanted me to stay.  Still on excellent terms; my replacement is actually a board member  at my company. But, academia isn't where things are happening tech-wise right now.  As someone who makes things happen, hi-tech is where it's at; surely you agree?

Of course, some people understand the virtue of making money work for the betterment of others, and I'm not one to sit on my hands. I did the travel thing for a while; became a very passable landscape photographer. And I play the blues guitar well enough to make  even Freddie King shout. If I was sedentary, I'm sure I'd set up a state of the art remote ham station; not too costly actually. But beyond entertainment, it's  bit outdated.

Ah, so work beckons. Effort= Change.

Why would I want to be CEO (again)? Why would that be fun?

Of course, you still have just an EANSEE TEENSEY surface scratch of who I am, what I do, and the impact I've had, amigo. I am really tickled to think you believe I am arrogant (as you have said). Hahahah!

No, let's NOT just say "I consult" (I don't BTW). Why do you "consult", as they say? That's the euphemism people usually use when they can't find a job. Let's hear ALL ABOUT YOU and your wonderful sojourn in life with the utility companies.

Fill
    Us
    In:)

Perspective and motivation, Please clarify.

Chip N1IR

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

My employment history has absolutely nothing to do with financial gain or loss with respect to our subject, HF Access BPL.  Nor, any other widget or box between medium voltage distribution and a personal computer.  And, I don't offer a competing technology.  Nor, do I have an interest in other Part 15 technologies that would benefit from relaxed regulation or enforcement of interference complaints to licensed services as I believe you have.

That being said, I've spent years supervising utility maintenance and construction crews.  And, because of my radio interests, paid particular attention to what were the causes of and the remedies for radio and television interference from electric distribution lines.  I also was very close to a 1975 trial by General Electric and Pacific Gas and Electric to impress VLF PLC on distribution feeders to read meters and gather information at customer service points.  In a few words, the trial was a failure, due to the excessive attenuation of the signal by the lossy carbon impregnated layer inside underground cables.  Surely you remember the skin effect.

The other involvement demonstrated how much wasted time and costly efforts to locate sources of impulse noise and attempt to cure them.  Crews spent days tightening hardware, installing spring clips, remaking bond wires and the like.  Only to find the problem manifested itself again, a few spans away, on another day.  Another involved switched capacitor banks and high order harmonics generated from the bonding methods then used on metal hardware, called racks.  Lots of wasted time and money to solve interference problems.  In most cases, the complainants were hams.  In a few instances, television noise or telephone companies.

I really believe that the power industry has more important work to do than to spend its time chasing interference complaints.  Quite simply, to properly construct, maintain and operate its power systems.  Systems that, I might add, already have many robust and fault tolerant means of control that are not dependent on the very line conductors being controlled, to enable the flexibility to reconfigure and restore parts that have been de-energized due to faults.

Did you enjoy your participation in the northeast outage of August 2003?  If you did, then no changes needed.  If you didn't, you ought to be concerned about how much preventive maintenance that utilities are doing.  So that when trees grow into overhead lines, or when substation transformers, circuit breakers, or protective relays fail, you won't have a repeat of the summer of 2003.

If power companies install BPL, they will be expending a great deal more time dealing with interference complaints and, as such, expending more of their sparse maintenance funds in that endeavor instead of maintaining power system equipment to ensure its proper and continued operation.

That's my interest, Mr. Chips.  The maintenance and enhancement of utility service reliability. No bucks involved for me, as my retirement income is derived from an annuity held by a bank, as are all individuals who are retirees of Pacific Gas and Electric.

Ciao,

Lee
    W6EM

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am confused: what were the circumstances under which you left this utility company? How do we know you don't harbor some grudge against that industry? Keep in mind, now, that the utility industry stands most to benefit from BPL.

You mention a 'partial' pension. Why just a 'partial'? My impression is that folks who are let go are occasionally allowed to negotatiate such things as 'partials'.

Since you say you are now "consulting", would you decline work from some group, or company, that was.is trying to kill, impede, or stop BPL? Are you trying to drum up work in this circumstance?

What work have you done with the ARRL, if any?

These are inmportant points to air out there Lee, since it is important to fully understand the motivation of someone with such a strong view on this subject. I am sure that you appreciate the request for this scrutiny, as, indeed, you applied to myself--falsely I might add-- but thus extending me the privilege of setting the matter straight.

So, please expatiate on these matters for our edification and enlightenment of perspective.

Many thanks,
    Chip N1IR

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there.

Being out of work, when you need to work, really s*cks!

Chip N1IR

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

I left PGandE to head up efforts to fix some serious power system deficiencies at a Department of Energy facility.  Some of the work I did involved classified systems, so I won't discuss that.

My pension from PGandE of course wouldn't be quite as much as if I had stayed there until normal retirement age.

I probably wouldn't decline an offer from an entity wishing to explore the effects of BPL on a distribution system, or comparing its proposed uses in control or monitoring of power system performance or utilization. Athough, I'm not actively soliciting offers.

No, I haven't done any work for the ARRL.  Although, I have exchanged quite a few emails with League officers and staff.

I've also exchanged emails with state public utility commissions as well.  But, most were concerned with safe operation of uncertified BPL devices on distribution lines.

Satisfied now?  Probably not.

The scrutiny I applied to you was just superficial.  That's all that was needed.  Your behavior on this thread offers a new definition of disinterest.  In fact, each time I hear you express it, it invokes a bigger laugh than AG4YO's funnies.

Ciao,

Lee
    W6EM

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh? Someone mention my name? Just sitting here dreaming of the day I can look at Pamela Anderson pictures over my Amateur Radio digital connection. Wow. That will be something! And we'll have Chip to thank for it.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't you do that now?

She does wear clothes, on occasion, FYI.

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I was waiting until our digital dreams come true for Amateur Radio but looks like you've been scoping her out already! LOL.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

All I've seen reveals her to be a healthy young lady who fits well in a red bathing suit.

Your experience may differ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.