ad: portazero-1

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ad me to the list of people saying "Great idea, poor execution".

If I knew nothing about ham radio, that billboard would receive barely a glance from me, and my only thought would be "trying to sell advertising time on the local radio station".

K0UO likes this.
  2. KD7KCP

KD7KCP Ham Member QRZ Page

$500,000 ARLL dollars at work.

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because there was no other good reason to PUT one word in the middle of a sentence in all caps.

4. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The idea is good. Point out ham radio. But I hate billboards. Bumper stickers are not much better but they are not as ugly.

5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

It is as if no thought, no creativity went into this Billboard.
    I want to see the HOBBY grow, I want the younger generation to know the same enjoyment and excitement I have enjoyed these many many years.
    In my opinion the ARRL got a phone call ...
    Hey I have a Billboard would you guys like to place something on it
    One second
    Here go with this, it is laying in my desk drawer
    Be sure our LOGO is The FOCUS
    PATHETIC

KW4LS and N3FAA like this.
  6. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the idea- but the design is poor- you need to be able to see clearly and easily where to go for info- arrl.org could be in BIG letters along with the simple message. People are fying by in their cars- reading and remembering a web link in small print is not ideal IMO. Please do more advertising. I think it could help the hobby.

KC9YGN likes this.
  7. K2MFW

K2MFW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Visual pollution.

W0AEW likes this.
  8. NH2BV

NH2BV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is great, however, I think they should have listed on the billboard at least one repeater that is accessible from the location of that sign.

9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a good idea, and just generally a good idea. There's those blue signs along the interstate in some locations that give an AM broadcast frequency for traffic announcements. I like those as they've saved me from being stuck in traffic a handful of times now. Maybe local clubs could get similar signs posted. Those "adopt a highway" signs might work, just call the club something like "The 146.xxx Amateur Repeater Club" and people in the know will get the idea.

Such would also work for Part 95 clubs that run CB radio nets or a GMRS repeater. But I'm sure such a suggestion wouldn't go over well on QRZ. I don't care, radio is radio. I think many people here are jealous of Part 95, wishing Part 97 license holders were as well behaved.

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume that the sign was intended to reach members of the general public, not people who are already licensed.

If that is the case, then repeater info is totally useless to the intended audience.

K3XR likes this.
  11. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree that the sign is badly designed. People driving past are going to see "RADIO COMMUNICATIONS" and nothing else. The ARRL symbol, if they see it at all, is going to be totally meaningless to anyone who isn't already an amateur radio licensee, and the URL is way too long and so small it's going to be virtually invisible to someone going past at 70. They might as well have not bothered. By all means promote amateur radio, but do it in a way that the non-ham can recognize.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Every day and every way, I making a point of fying whenever I can, and ESPECIALLY in my car!

13. W0JOG

W0JOG Ham Member QRZ Page

As a 50-plus year writer of advertising and other forms of communication, I join in calling out to the league and the designers of the innovation of outdoor advertising for amateur radio two basics of outdoor sign design. 1. Maximum of 7 words. 2. An image is far more memorable than just words.

de W0JOG

K0UO likes this.
  14. K4MOE

K4MOE Ham Member QRZ Page

People will gripe about anything. I seen it on 40, and it didn't offend me, even though it didn't say Hobby anywhere on the sign.

15. AK3B

AK3B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm driving past this I don't see anything that says "Ham Radio" or "Amateur Radio". No one knows what ARRL is except for Hams, so, I feel it may have missed the mark. Still great to see it out there.