ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir,

I seldom say this, but your response is really, IMO, idiotic.

Yes bunkie, I got into ham radio, as a teenager--actually earlier!- for the very mission statements defined in Part 97. That includes public service.

Sorry to disappoint you. But please don't tell me why I did something. I am in a position to know. If I tell you why I did something, I don't expect you or anyone else to assert otherwise, especially when there is factual evidence supporting my answer.

OK boobalah?

Go enjoy an Easter egg, rather than laying one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. You did tell me -- this time. Last time you just told you received a well-deserved award, without mentioning your motivation for becoming a ham. Thanks for the clarification.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look:

I am cutting you some slack because I had a lot of respect for your dad, and I very much enjoyed your tribute on the W9BRD callsign history.

BTW , the 'public service' aspect arose from my reading a kid's Marconi bio in 1966. To me, the radio thing had a 'public service' component where even a kid could get beyond the vapid and isolating restrictions of a small-minded home town, surrounded by a cow-pen of townie kids I had nothing in common with. I guess in those contemporary terms, you could 're-invent' and 'be somebody'. Some young people actually think about that at a very young age. That was the path that I resonated with--ham radio.

Its really offensive to tell people what motivates them. You can help DIRECT them on motivation; you can QUESTION their motivation; you can ASSIST them on motivation; you can even DE-motivate them. But TELLING them what motivates them is silly and oozes a wish to control.

Unless you are Hannibal the Cannibal, I suggest you be careful with your love of language to execute, IMO, that form of manipulation. I assume you are far better than that.

And I wish you well in this holiday season.

Chip W1YW

4. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

A Hobby, or a service ??? to be or not to be,, that is the question
    It's my Hobby,

I might add that , the word service is JUST an expression , it has nothing to do with me helping in a flood , or whatever.
    Like many other two-way radio services,
    Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS), General Mobile Radio Service GMRS, The Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS) as stated on the FCC web.

However, I really wonder just how many of you have really provided a real services as stated in (a) ? --see (a) below..
    I'm sure many have, its just what we do.

And, well (b) is a real killer, "Proven" might have been 40 to 50 years ago,

and , (c) I really don't know what to think (maybe dumb-it-down)

and then there's (d) I'd say maybe a reservoir of Idiots that can't program their HT's

(e) this as a positive for our HOBBY

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

why don't we all cut the BS ,, hobby , service, it all nonsense,

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And to continue ...
    ยง97.3 Definitions.
    (a) The definitions of terms used in part 97 are:
    (4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

For many personal aim=HOBBY.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is bizarre to quote Part 97's mission and then assert Part 97 is a hobby. It is a licensed service--missioned-- where clearly there is hobby-like use. Unlike a bona fide "hobby", these missioned statements obligate use in order to secure and maintain these privileges. A "hobby" has no obligation. It is a "leisurely pursuit". Leisure defines choice of non-activity. Many have taken that 'leisure' to define non-use of privileges--and hence the huge problem we now have in Part 97.

The problem is that when you define 'hobby' to fit who you are, you WILL find that it is in opposition to what may be defined legally-- in an effort to take away Part 97 privileges. Right now I see that as 7-10 years away. If we continue to not use the HF bands, AND insist its a "hobby", that may happen much sooner.

Watch out for IOT.....

Ham radio---it's not a hobby. Get on the air and execute your Part 97 mission: learn something; build something; make something; hone your skills; help someone; make friends across the world.

Chip W1YW

K8XG likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's exactly the problem.

You can't define "hobby" to fit who YOU are.

The definition precedes and is independent of that.

Since laws are about words and their MANIPULATION, you will see major issues in the future based on a false perception that many radio amateurs say they are ONLY "hobbyists" and ham radio is a "hobby".

In the telecommunications realm,

"Hobby"="Placeholder"= "Ripe for the picking"

You will see that playing out at the 3300MHz band in the next couple of years: hams not executing Part 97 mission on the band; we lose band; band joins the 5G allocation. The 'leisure' of non-use = loss of band.

Way to go hobbyists!

Our solution to the problem is to label 5G in a QST article as "hope or hype". Unbelievable.

Chip W1YW

K8XG and N3FAA like this.
  8. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

It goes beyond talking point A. B, C, D and E carry equal weight. I feel I done my part. I know Chip has.

W1YW likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

No...the problem is you can't tell others how to define their participation in a pastime activity. We are all free to define participation as we see fit. I see fit to view the amateur service as my hobby and any chatter to the contrary won't change that.

The ARRL has it correct...
    What is Ham Radio?
    Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together.

http://www.arrl.org/what-is-ham-radio

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page