ad: w5yi

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KF1P

KF1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

West of Cardiff Tennessee.....

N5PZJ likes this.
  2. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

How does that billboard convey that message?
    "what is a HAM" is in smaller print and part of a URL that drivers best not be plugging into their phones. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I see no picture, but I see a huge ARRL logo with RADIO COMMUNICATIONS next to it.

Also why does the ARRL think Amateur Radio needs a billboard?

For a century we have existed by word of mouth, and those who need to know about the service we provide to our communities already do. HAMs are in schools, promote Club Stations and are part of the STEM programs in many school. BSA has an Amateur Radio program that helps bring radio to scouts all over the globe. As a Service and as a Hobby, we don't need a billboard to advertise who we are and what we do; but the ARRL does.

Nice of Cliff to volunteer the space on his billboard, but it seems to me that the rest was paid for with your membership dues.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice!

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

"Segar says the average daily traffic count for the area along I-40 west bound, mile marker 336, is on the order of 6 million vehicles per year." Okay let's finish this thought That's 16,438.3 cars a day on an average. I've owned a couple of .3 cars in my lifetime.

AD5HR likes this.
  5. KD4GT

KD4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

WB9ZYU said: "Nice of Cliff to volunteer the space on his billboard, but it seems to me that the rest was paid for with your membership dues."

I suppose that I could have just designed it all myself. Or the folks in Newington could have said NO when I offered the space. But the only thing the ARRL paid for was the artwork. The billboard company (Outfront Media) paid to have the artwork printed and for the crew that came and installed the vinyl.

What have the rest of you done lately to advance the amateur radio service?

NV4B, KF1P, KA2CZU and 7 others like this.
  6. WA1FOK

WA1FOK Ham Member QRZ Page

The billboard says nothing about HAM or AMATEUR radio it could just be an ad for a broadcast station or two way radio equipment

K3RLD, KG5CJA and N2RJ like this.
  7. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I won't get into the 'wording' argument, but I will make a comment on the Font they chose. Until I started reading these comments, I did not even see the website info on the sign. I believe that the URL address shown should be as large or larger than the "Skill, Service,Discovery" line.
    People these days, especially the younger ones, see a web address like we used to see phone numbers. That contact information is the most important part of the message. It seems that unless the general (non-ham) public follows up with a web site check, they will have no idea what the sign is about. Additionally with the speed limit on I-40 being 70 mph, that means the majority of the traffic will be doing 75-85 as they pass by. That doesn't give but a few seconds to look at the sign, unless someone does try to punch it into their phone right then, and you end up at the back of a pileup, (Pun intended)

KQ6XA likes this.
  8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The word "service" is nothing more than FCC speak for a use of radio spectrum. Don't read into it any more than that.

NV4B, KV6O, W9BRD and 5 others like this.
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to me that no matter what the ARRL does, for some, it will always be wrong. Glad to seem them trying different means to make people wonder what the ARRL is and what it's all about.

K4XJ, KJ4VTH, KF1P and 5 others like this.
  10. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a modern version of the classic ' Eat at Joe's ' billboard :cool:

Anything that promotes the art of Radio Communication is worthwhile.

However the word Hobby should have been included in the banner.

G3SEA/KH6