ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are CORRECT:

It says nothing about leisurely pursuit--that is, "hobby".

Looks like it didn't NEED to....

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

billboard real.jpg OK...

Here ya go, 'hobbyists'.... ;-)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    K8XG and N3FAA like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and this was cited earlier in the thread.

Take the bag off the cat and read the thread please.

5. W9GDH

W9GDH Ham Member QRZ Page

The sign need AMATEUR RADIO and ARRL.ORG in big letters. doing 70 mph you can only read so fast.

K0DD likes this.
  6. W9GDH

W9GDH Ham Member QRZ Page

The sign need AMATEUR RADIO and ARRL.ORG in big letters. doing 70 mph you can only read so fast.

7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's way too bad the Graphics Artist made the WEB ADDRESS so complex and SOOOO TINY that it would take STOPPING on the Interstate to write down the address...

KISS

Erika DD

W1YW likes this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I know,... it seems you didn't see it earlier

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course I saw it.

I responded to it.

You seem to feel I am responsible for the alleged contradiction between what the SIGN says is 'ham radio', and what the COPY on the ARRL website says is 'ham radio'.

I pointed out to you the most likely scenario, which you have obviously ignored. Go look it up.

The billboard was a well thought-out result. The fact that it does NOT say hobby is just something that almost none of you seem to fathom.

It doesn't say hobby --because it is not a hobby.

Chip W1YW

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Erika, the sign could have just been the ARRL diamond with BIG letters asking "What is ham radio?" to inspire the question. Or "What is Amateur Radio?"

(Kinda like the billboards in Atlas Shrugged that asked "Who is John Galt?" who we suspect is secretly @W1YW :D)

Interestingly, the first return for me on Google searching "What is ham radio?" is a different ARRL web page than searching for "What is Amateur Radio?"

They should have used the latter URL on the sign, although its a few characters longer. IMO, the text content definition in the first paragraph for Amateur Radio is more appropriate,

What is Amateur Radio?

"When cell phones, regular phones, the internet and other systems are down or overloaded, Amateur Radio still gets the message through. Radio amateurs, often called “hams,” enjoy radio technology as a hobby. But it's also a service –a vital service that has saved lives when regular communication systems failed."

Many others enjoy radio technology as a hobby, but obtaining an AR license means becoming part of the service.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    K0DD likes this.