ad: elecraft

ARRL Qualifying Run

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC1FNM, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1FNM

KC1FNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been at CW about 6 months and figured I might set a goal of being able to copy 10 WPM fairly soon. I thought that participating in the ARRL Qualifying run might be fun. Does anyone know how stringent the "grading" is for the text copied?
    If you've done this, I'd like to know, thanks!

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

One minute of 100% copy.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

My certificate says "absolute accuracy" for at least one minute. I received endorsements for 20 and 25 wpm. That was as fast as I could copy with pen and paper.

Zack W1VT

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. KC1FNM

KC1FNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies! That's good to know!

5. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you correct your copy before you mail it to the ARRL.
    Example: you write radim and correct to radio.
    Thanks Paul

6. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Correcting what you copied kinda defeats the purpose of 100% copy ?

From the ARRL....
    Underline one minute of the highest speed you copied, certify that your copy was made without aid, and send it to ARRL for grading.

7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have to be on paper or does copying via computer & keyboard count? I can copy faster than 20 WPM but only with a keyboard like I was trained. Using a pencil & paper my max writing speed is about 15 WPM or so.

I just wonder if they will think if it's printed out on paper that you used digital decoding software of some sort, even though most programs are worse than manual copy.

8. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Typing should be fine. You just need to certify you did not use a decoder.

9. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of preparing myself to pass the 20 - 25 wpm ARRL Code Proficiency Certificate (Qualifying Run W1AW).
    The certificate requires one minute of solid copy (legible) and as N3HEE has stated non correctable. I can copy 20 wpm but have a problem writing the letter down on paper. In the process of writing the letter I sometimes miss the next letter.
    I tried a better pen, line paper, upper and lower case letters, script handwriting as distinct from print, etc (I am a poor typist).
    Any advice?
    Thanks Paul kw1L

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

>>>>>>>>Typing should be fine. You just need to certify you did not use a decoder.

No kidding??? Have you submitted a type written effort to ARRL for confirmation?? Try as I may, these old fingers will not write legibly at 20 wpm.
    If I could head copy and type into wordpad then I might pass 25 wpm.
    Jim k5tsk

K1LKP likes this.