ad: Mountaingoat-1

ARRL Proposes FCC Waive Amateur Radio Fees

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Nov 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. That is directly from the FCC NPRM. Notice the use of "nominal fee". In using it, they are in essence saying that it is not really to cover the costs, but rather it is some arbitrary fee that they decide is "nominal". The actual cost of processing the application is way lower than their "nominal fee", so that amount is what should be charged, or if so small as to be not worth collecting, should be waived.

The law that this new fee is based on reads as follows:

"The Commission shall assess and collect application fees at such rates as the Commission shall establish in a schedule of application fees to recover the costs of the Commission to process applications."

The law doesn't say that they can collect a "nominal fee". The fee has to represent the actual costs of processing the applications, and that money is sent to the federal general fund, not even retained by the FCC.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s astonishing how much some can complain about so little

N3FAA likes this.
  3. N1TEQ

N1TEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would pay $50 for some people to stop complaining.

K0UO, K2NCC, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

I have a great fee structure based on age. Free for 18 years and under. $10 for 19-34 years of age, $50 for 35 to 54 years of age, $100 for ages 55 and older.The hobby could use some young blood with new ideas and open minded.

WW5F and N3FAA like this.
  5. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

whats the difference between ham radio and cb radio??????

nothing, they allow trash in both hobbies.

a lot of cb wannabe's are here i ham radio world...........listen tot he airwaves.....people iding with funny name....people cant even get the 73 term down pat.....THERE IS NO "S" AT THE END...STOP PUTTING A "S" ON THE END

THE DARK SIDE OF HAM RADIO.....

WHO FREAKING CARES HOW LONG IVE BEEN LICENSED, 5 , 10.......WHAT DOES THAT MATTER!!

6. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, you have got to get outside or something man. You seem unreasonably troubled.
    There's "trash" in all hobbies. And it's entirely objective.

For example, I feel there has been nothing but trash in your posts. You represent a dark side of this hobby.

Nobody cares how long you've been licensed OM, in spite of acting as if you've been here since Hiram Percy.

Speaking of, if 73's is good enuff for the old man, it's gud enuff 4 moi.

Capture.JPG

Do as you preach and move on, we got you have angst. Who doesn't. No need to beat it to death here.

KC3JH, K0UO, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  7. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you skip just a couple of overpriced Starbucks a week and stop playing your stupid losing lotto games every week you could very easily afford the $5 a year price. I hear people b**ching about the price of gas then see them buying lottery games 5 minutes later. I watched an obviously on a fixed incoming old lady buy 10 $10 lottery tickets one day.

I heard one guy on 75 meters one morning worried about getting a check because he had no food. He proceeded to say he had an Icom 7300 AND a Icom 7610! PRIORITIES PEOPLE. SMH.....

N3FAA and K2NCC like this.
  8. KB8NXO

KB8NXO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's it in a nut shell Sir. A heart felt thank you for being a voice of reason.

9. KB8NXO

When I first look this up at FCC dot gov to see the ARRL's response to this as an advocate the page was easily found and pretty straight forward. When I wen back to it to make my post the site and page had been reconfigured as was a nightmare to navigate. I was not able to post. It was so frustrating , quitting with my favorite expletive was the path I choose. It reminds me of my research into the Government's use of Agent Orange. The best material was under agriculture. No accident in either case.

just letting you know I feel your pain cause many here are not aware of the slick switch er roo. - Peace Out -

K9GLS likes this.
  10. KB8NXO

I have read every post in this thread. And while trying to add anything constructive is an exercise in futility, I still love pointing out just how unarmed some are in a battle of wits.

This 50 bucks is NO DIFFERENT that being called up for jury duty and being required to pay a 50 dollar fee for being there.

I already hear the jokers in the deck saying "But you are not being called to serve with radio and to just pointed out that you are with jury duty.
    These are the same people that BELIEVE putting a V-Twin engine in a motorcycle makes it the same as a Harley. So point made. You don't get it, never will, and Maduro loves you.

11. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a hobby. Nothing more, nothing less. Nobody is calling you up to serve unless you CHOOSE to. And if you're one of the 4% of us who volunteer in public service, good for you! Now stop being cheap and go pay your $50 like everyone else.

WA5VGO, K2NCC and K0UO like this.
  12. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL is nothing more than a self licking ice cream cone.

N3FAA and K0UO like this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you guys all need to quit whining many countries charge that much each year

Even in my Banana Republic country of
    Belize it is $30 each year.
    Try getting find one in Mexico and see how much it cost
    Try getting (buying$$$) one in Mexico and see how much it cost you$$$$

V31KW

K8PG and N3FAA like this.
  14. KB8NXO

"Everybody else"? Really?? COMPLY OBEY SUBMIT No thanks. I live in America and it and it's way of life are still worth fighting for. Did your momma ever ask you "If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you?" Don't fret. ... Maduro loves you.

Uncle Sam will have to finance it's end runs around the constitution another way. PERIOD.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has nothing to do with complying or obeying. It has to do with the fact that we account for 40% of ULS actions and 70% of personal licenses in the ULS. Yet we pay absolutely NOTHING and have paid NOTHING for decades. But no big deal, right? Let somebody else pay for it, because you might get called up to put on your orange vest and serve in a 4th of July parade. That's amazing! Thank you so much for your service!

K2NCC and KA4FIX like this.