ad: UR5CDX-1

ARRL Proposes FCC Waive Amateur Radio Fees

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Nov 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly darlin' some of us don't give a damn about that specific issue. Me, pretty low on the list of "important things to worry about".

IMO, if you can't afford 50 bucks a year, time to fine a new interest. Or a new career. Use your time more wisely.

We're talking about 14-cents per diem. I use more than that wiping my arse at today's rates. ;)

Not raggin' anyone for bein' broke, I appreciate that. But whining because you are is time wasted one could be doing something useful.

Like writing your reps, instead of on this bathroom wall.

N3FAA likes this.
  2. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well frankly my dear I don't give a damn, there are a lot out here who think that's while its been free for a very very long time, It should continue to be free......

if they raised the price of something that you have used for free for several years and then all of a sudden they then want you to pay for something that is free...you don't mind payng for it...that's great.

this is a service, a vital service nevertheless..........think clearly now...what do they plan on doing with all that money, is my first question, and secondly , do you not think that many will be turned away from a hobby that now wants to suck the life out of you every time you upgrade or want to print your license.

once they impose a fee then what is stopping them from increasing that fee on a yearly basis.......if we are self regulated, self policing.....what are we doing to stop this fee based structure.

I for one am appalled at the lack of people whom just sit on their arses, complaining that they do not like something and do NOTHING to make the change.........

its no wonder no one takes this hobby seriously. This fee is going to bring in millions and millions of dollars, will it change or make the hobby any better, probably not.....will it make people be turned off....oh hell yes.......

instead of sitting behind your mic and complaining, why do you actually do something to help this hobby out.

we have lost bandwidth, we have lost other things related tot his hobby, we would not loose these things if people would just stand up to this, but with only 1% it is very likely this will go thru and then when it hits the pockets of the complainers, they will still complain.

if this does goo thru, which at the looks of things it will......see the numbers drop quickly and then i can say "I told you so"

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Maybe the 99+% didn't comment because the FCC commenting section seemed a bit convaluted? You must include the docket number or rulemaking number of the proceeding for the corresponding comment. That got a whiskey tango foxtrot from me. I never could find the docket number so I backed away from it 3 times else I would have left a comment. Seeing that less that 1% commented my comment wouldn't have done much anyway but I digress. Gosh my trash pickup "fee" is due today.... gotta go. Carry on.

KB8NXO likes this.
  4. WW2WW

WW2WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You dont need a license anyway. There are people on 3860 with no license and the FCC and Canada equivalent do nothing. Radio has become abusive and sick. Come on 3860 and listen to oink oink and the rambling old man from Canada and the guy that just keeps saying Trump Tard and the other fool playing music at 10-11PM. The airwaves need enforcement not fees. Id pay $100 for the lic if they did something to clean it up. It is a joke.

Attached Files:

5. WW2WW

WW2WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What are you going to get for your money. Typical taxation without representation. Clean the airwaves and I would pay $500

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I never realized that people would complain about $0.14/day. If it bothers you, you can’t afford this hobby.

And as indicated below, people don’t understand how the government calculates total PC&B cost.

N3FAA likes this.
  7. N1TEQ

N1TEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do find it humorous you aren't seeing that you've answered your own question. Yes a lot of people care, less than 1% as your stats have shown.

K2NCC likes this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

that same echolink/irlp expert also thinks that (his words) "... we are self regulated..."

9. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Excuse me, but this $50/action from the FCC, from my view, is like complaining about rain drops in a lake.

The FCC is only five obscure individuals in Washington DC.

10. W2VOA

W2VOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would the FCC raise the fees on a hobby that is completely self sustaining, we examine , self police on our own time and dollar.. Hams keep people safe by volunteering their time, personal expensive equiptment and put their lives and gear in jeopardy to save lives in times of need !!! FCC please don't implement more fee's that could put this very important service in danger of fading away as it is our difficult task of gaining the interest of the next generation as is !!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the government passed a law that says they have to collect application fees, and made no distinction between hams versus anyone else.

Some hams ... and they do it voluntarily "without pecuniary interest". The other 99.99% of us are either not active, spend our time contesting or ragchewing, or are playing FT8.

If you are putting your own life in jeopardy, you're not helping.

$50 renewal fee is going to "kill this very important service?". Seriously? You mean all those lives you're saving (except your own that you're putting at risk, of course) you do not consider to be worth $5 per year to save?

N3FAA and K2NCC like this.
  12. NN4RH

Same thing you already get for free, because taxpayers are paying for your licensing. The only difference will be that you'll be a tiny bit less of a burden to everyone else.

WA5VGO and N3FAA like this.
  13. NN4RH

$50 is going to "suck the life out of you" ?

N3FAA likes this.
  14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't help but to chuckle hearing that from a guy who's been a Technician for the last five years.

Meanwhile, you can download the official copy (usually a PDF) of the license, same thing you get in the mail, print it yourself for about a penny.

Oh and my math was wrong earlier. I was thinking 14-cents a day for 50 bucks a year. It's even way less than that across the years that 50 bucks went toward.

Still, moot point really.

N3FAA likes this.
  15. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Me thinks the fee should be several hundred dollars a year. Keeps the trailer park trash out.

WW5F and N3FAA like this.