ARRL proposes elimination of Contest and DX Advisory Committees

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Jan 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

This was before joining. I'm a member now, do you think my experience would be different?

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Oh well.

3. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see exactly what the ARRL has proposed, and its reasoning, before passing judgement.

I can see where there may be cases that would benefit from specific expertise, like the desire to call in international legal experts on particular DXCC matters, or impacted competitors in the contesting realm (for instance, if there was a proposal regarding contesters under the age of 18, I'd want direct input from contesters under the age of 18. That says nothing bad of the existing committees, just that they aren't all under 18.)

If the proposal is to completely eliminate the committees as they exist today - why? I'm assuming they are volunteers; they certainly are credentialed. It makes no sense to disband a non-binding volunteer effort, when if the desire is for more diverse input, that can be accomplished in conjunction with (or parallel to) the existing organization. But there may be reasons I don't know of.

I will always applaud the League for looking for improvements, even if it means shaking up the established norms. But I don't know yet if I agree with this proposal.

ND6M and KP4SX like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know, but it would be worth mentioning should you get an actual reply.

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO and WZ7U like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

At least congress sends some people money

W4HM likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

sigh

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

They always have. The Committees merely advise(d); the Board sets policy, as always.

K0UO likes this.
  9. W9BRD

To the contrary, at least a Director of Emergency Management looks like playing a role in organized amateur radio that those outside of amateur radio would identify as possible mattering at all to society at large. Vice President in charge of taking a Section for Sweepstakes or scrabbling to stay in the DXCC Top Ten, not so much.

W0PV likes this.
  10. W9BRD

Me for Okino Tori-Shima, the country that literally just about had to be built (to stay above high tide) like a Heathkit.