ARRL proposes elimination of Contest and DX Advisory Committees

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Jan 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It appears rather than standing committees for these two significant components of amateur radio the League is considering making them "as needed". A vote on this proposal, according to one Division Director, is scheduled shortly. Unfortunately specifics of the proposal have not been easy to find by League members who are interested in the subject. What follows is my input to my Division Director and the ARRL CEO on the subject.

It is my understanding that the League is proposing to eliminate both the DX Advisory Committee and Contest Advisory Committee as they have existed for a very long period of time. It is my further understanding that rather than continue as standing committees they will exist only “as needed” and will be comprised of subject matter “experts”

I have been continuously licensed for nearly 63 years and am a Life Member of the ARRL. My primary interests over the years have been both DX and contesting. That is not to the exclusion of other interests but those are certainly the ones which capture most of my operating time.

I understand that there are many other aspects of the hobby that are of interest especially to newer hams. And I also realize that many of us “old school” DX and contest operators are dying off. That is not to say that there are no young operators in either area of interest.

My concern, if the new approach will be to convene experts “as needed” , is who will determine the need? With a standing committee there is consistent and timely input from members and relevant issues can be addressed on a regular, scheduled basis. I am not at all certain, depending upon whom (and I certainly hope it is not some HQ staffer) is tasked with determining when input is needed that the end product will meet the need.

No matter what rhetoric is used to justify this “adjustment” it will certainly be interpreted by practitioners of those aspects of the hobby and others as a de-emphasis on the importance of those pursuits and as a lesser level of interest on the part of the League.

One thing which you may wish to consider before this decision is finalized are the “optics” of such a move—and I don’t refer simply to the amateurs involved in contesting/DXing. Ask this question. Of the major advertisers in QST, especially those who produce high end and expensive equipment, who is their target audience? It is not the brand new operator enamored with DMR and other, primarily VHF/UHF activity. It is the contest/DX crowd. I’m not sure the advertisers will be anymore happy with this decision than those most likely to buy their products.

Jerry Boyd

N7WR

WB2PKR, KA0HCP, W9FL and 11 others like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry, nicely done. Well written, focused, cogent, positive.

I'd rather see them save $ from emcomm committees.

W9FL, W4HM, W1BR and 8 others like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those committees basically just don't have anything to do almost all the time. Most hams even ARRL members don't even know those committees exist, anyway, and would not miss them. They are Board committes, not involved in actual contest operations. The ARRL still has a paid "contest manager" and "awards manager" on the headquarters staff that does that.

Dissolving these standing committees does not mean the ARRL is giving up contesting and dxing. It's only means that they recognize they they are unnecessary.

K6CLS and N2EY like this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They could have saved a lot by not creating the Director of Emergency Management position recently

W4HM, W1BR, W0FS and 4 others like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't. These standing committees rarely take any action or have any reason to do so. With another cycle of BAD hurricane seasons, no, this is not the time to short EMCOM. ;)

WQ4G and WD4ELG like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I don't get it. We're these "committees" paid staff? Did they meet regularly and often?
    Or is this lipstick that ARRL is putting on to make them appear more hip and up to date?

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about "up to date." These committees have been around for a long, long time, OM. ;)

WQ4G and N2EY like this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cant they afford chairs?

K3EY, WQ4G, KG5THG and 9 others like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I wasn't clear. :( I was referring to the ARRL adopting shedding the "long, long time" old people image that is en vogue these days.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The appearance seems to imply the ARRL management wants to eliminate input from everyone except paid staff.

For those of us who remember some of the ludicrous additions to the DXCC list such as Scarborough Reef, which the DXAC voted against including, the appearance of this latest decision seems to confirm they simply don’t want input to their decisions.

Clearly, they have a track record of unilateral actions. This is just another example.

W1BR, W0FS, K0IDT and 2 others like this.