ARRL proposes change to HF digital rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are plastic straws illegal in Florida?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you want to keep this thread running and not get locked, the tone of the discussion needs to tone down NOW.

"Reports" are coming in about the dramas in this thread - never a good thing.

Tone it down NOW and keep it civil - and the discussion will continue. Keep ramping the heat up and it will be closed.

Please take ALL discussions of defamation etc. offline - either via email or PM. This is not the place.

Thank you

Dave
    W7UUU

W2AI, KX4O, KX4Z and 2 others like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Single use plastic bags have been banned in Ulster County NY as of 07/15/19
    [​IMG]

4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sad to read how people here can get dramatized over a hobby that neither pays their bills nor puts food on their table. Your task as a QRZ.com moderator is no easy chore, Dave.

K0IDT and KX4O like this.
  5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

More work done to get ready for the Extra Class course this weekend.....I think I finally grasp how deviation ratio and modulation index relate. Always tough for me to keep those straight. Found a fantastic plot of the fourier series of sine, square, and sawtooths to try and help with that stuff - I have a spectrum analyzer now, and will be showing people the spectrums of an ancient heathkit 100 kHZ calibrator, and then following it through a uBitx transceiver's superheterodyne, mixers, filters, demodulator. Fascinating stuff for me. New oscilloscope arrived yesterday -- first really good one I've ever had in my entire life! That will help also.

Meanwhile we have a jampacked meeting tonight at the ham club -- we put up the new antenna at the EOC over the weekend -- still have the chigger and mosquito bites but the noise background is now amazingly quiet. New radio there, new tuner arrives this week, and tonight we'll be doing fast voice traffic net control practice with real voice traffic. This was identified as an enormous weakness during hurricane Michael after action discussion in the north florida section. To their enormous credit, the SEC/and others in ARES leadership are planning real HSEEP exercises now (I'm invited to assist). Huge step forward. Skill levels are rising and rising in our section, local Red Cross leader plans to show up tonight and get to know our steadily-growing group. That is a first, also. Three years of hard work locally. We could have as many as a DOZEN show for the Extra Class course, would blow our socks off. I have six total instructors --- five of whom we trained up ourselves. It has been a lot of work. We were unable to find any good "slide sets" for the Extra, and thus every instructor is having to make their own. I think each of us has made hundreds and hundreds of slides. We expect to have as much hands-on as possible. Last weekend was an example, five of us hanging that 270-foot antenna and then measuring SWR curves, noise spectrums, and functional tests.

6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

While i was reveiwing the "signals" chapter I found a statement that ALE is considered automated. There is a specific exception (already noted here) for short bits of "data" in the phone section of the bands, and ALE appears to utilize that as well. Again i'm not an expert on ALE.

7. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

There are those out there that want to reduce or eliminate interference between incompatible modes of operation; the best way is to have something in the regulations that keeps them in separate band segments with no overlap between them.

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I acknowledge what Peter wrote in that filing with the FCC. I am fully aware that SCS does not wish to lose their company by releasing those corporate secrets, since they are unable to protect them, there being no software patent in Europe.

It is my understanding that the FCC has explicitly approved two other protocols which are even more secretive
    CLOVER http://www.halcomm.com/ It looks like you can still purchase it today.
    G-TOR https://kantronics.com/

I'm suspicious that the published technical information on these may be somewhat inferior to what SCS produced, based on personal comments made to me by someone knowledgeable in the field, but I cannot state that with authority. The point is that the existence of corporate secrets did not prevent the FCC from explicitly citing these protocols, and even using them as EXAMPLES of what would be acceptable.
    97.309:
    (4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

I hope this answered your question, which I was unable to get to, previously.

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that thought process and it works well for certain issues. I'm also OK with "gentlemens' agreements" --- the problem being that when I have tried in the past to figure out "what was considered ok" I've had DIFFICULTY discovering those agreements. The example being the 160 meter band. i really wanted to do an experimental 500 Hz gateway there --- we have some signficant problems due to the sunspot cycle right now -- but wow! the winlink people were very very concerned over possible flack. It is possible there are signals I just can't hear here in florida....but the band is largely dead whenever i listen to it except for a very few CW signals. Had there been any prior agreements on where to put winlink 97221 c stations, it would have avoided much of this discussion. I never heard any discussion of difficulties until this all arose. Now I'm busy and could have missed it, but the ARRL would be a place to trumpet such stuff. Every single issue of QST now they are printing the frequency chart -- they could also print other agreements that have been worked out amicably between leadership of different groups.

10. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would prefer gentleman's agreements to regulatory mandates, but sometimes there just is no possibility of the former, due to personality clashes and such.

K0IDT likes this.