ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL proposes change to HF digital rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Finite shared resource, exclusivity effectively removes spectrum from general use shrinking the bands.

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

our group noticed some novel features of JS8 that would have been VERY useful in hurricane Michael. We had operators who were VERY BUSY and could not always be at their radio because of the tasks they were trying to do to reach others. JS8 has some really fascinating automated features (comes from a previous protocol which will also be disadvantaged) allowing you to find out by automated reply WHO can hear you, and to tap on those stations to leave messages for others -- which can be picked up or delivered autonomously later on. That would have helped us GREATLY wwith problems we had keeping in touch with our deployed crews. Travel was approximately 1/2 mile per hour at times.

(Yes, hard to believe. loTS of flat tires)

JS8 is therefore an aatuomated response and will be forced to move into the narrow slivers, even though individual stations use only 50 Hz. Since the automated slivers will be much busier -- jammed during any exercise or activation,....JS8 for disaster use will become unusable.

Gordon

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ALE is not considered ACDS.

K0IDT and K7JEM like this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

AFAIK, there are no exclusive use frequencies on HF.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me further explain: JS8, just like FT8, depends on all stations being within 1 single sideband bandwidth. Tryng to split it into two different groups will defeat the purpose.

6. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it.
    Since as it takes takes a good portion of ones life to achieve any substantial regulations reform I also like the idea of the least commission rules as possible, and gentlemens agreements instead. I see this in the long term as in our best interest. The problem is from what I have seen we are far from gentlemen and would rather bicker to our deaths and try and carve out an overly complex set of regulations. Fact is like anything, all the regulations in the world won't chance how some people conduct themselves on the air anyway. Especially since enforcement is so lax.

NL7W, K0IDT, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

you may be correct, but I am ALWAYS hearing them right on the frquency that i listen to in the 97.221(b) sliver.
    so why are they there?

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of things, then. In a disaster, usage such as that can be authorized, if needed. Second, perhaps a rule could be written, similar to the existing rule, but with a narrower bandwidth, like 150Hz or something max. Third, JS8Call (AFAIK) is not really designed to be an automated mode, someone has to be at the control point when it is transmitting.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0IDT likes this.
  10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, i noted the text to which you referred, but it dealt only with pHONe segments. Do you have an authoritiative source that ALE is not considered "automatic" and falling under ACDS when transferring digital messages? (Which is one of its features)