ad: QSKLLC-1

ARRL proposes change to HF digital rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4O, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.central.arrl.org/docs/Final Minutes July 2019(1).pdf

IT IS ACCORDINGLY RESOLVED that the ARRL’s Washington Counsel is instructed to take appropriate steps, including, but not limited to, appropriate filings with the Federal Communications Commission, to obtain the Commission’s approval for the following enumerated changes to Part 97 of the Commission’s Rules:

(1) All automatically controlled digital stations (ACDS) below 30 MHz, regardless of bandwidth, are authorized to operate only within the ACDS bands designated in the FCC’s Rules, 47 C.F.R. §97.221(b);​

(2) All digital mode stations that operate with a bandwidth greater than 500 Hz also must operate within the ACDS bands designated in the FCC’s Rules, whether or not automatically controlled;​

(3) No digital mode station may employ a bandwidth greater than 2.8 kHz in any band below 29 MHz;​

(4) Reiterate to the Commission the need to remove, and the benefits of removing, the current baud limitations, subject to the conditions requested by the ARRL herein;​

(5) Reiterate to the Commission the ARRL’s unchanged position — most recently stated in its Comments submitted In the Matter of Don Rolph, RM-11699 - that the encryption of messages prohibited in Amateur communications by Section 97.113 of the Commission’s Rules and by Article 25, §2 of the International Radio Regulations, should remain prohibited;​

(6) Request that the Commission remind Amateurs, by whatever appropriate means available, of the current prohibition against transmitting “messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning.”​

KX4KU and K0UO like this.
  2. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not unreasonable. Not what I would do if I ran the world, but not unreasonable.

The only nit I would pick is the use of the term “digital mode”. If this was meant to include digital voice—which is plainly phone and belongs in the phone bands—that’s adding another vegetable to an already overloaded soup.

EDIT: On the My ARRL Voice Facebook group, Rita, N2RJ, indicates the eventual filings will focus on data as defined in 97.3. So the nit is unpicked.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    KF5KWO, K0IDT and KX4O like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a point about the digital voice. SSTV as well. To me, it is a giant leap in the wrong direction to limit digital stations to 500Hz, except in a few KHz of HF spectrum on some of the bands.

N4QX and KX4O like this.
  4. N4QX

That’s one of the things I wouldn’t have done if I ran the world.

But as I advised the then-sitting board when the symbol rate thing started: There is no technical reason for a symbol rate limitation. It is up to [the board] to decide whether removing it, and how to do so, is worth the political capital.

In the past, N6AA’s position on these issues has been decidedly toward fewer rules, not more, to the point where he was the only one to oppose the 2.8 kHz element on the original symbol rate petition. I am personally sympathetic to this view. Pragmatically, that view just lost 14-1.

Symbol rate restrictions are big problems. If it takes accepting small problems to get rid of a big problem, so be it.

KX4O likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Any fix to the ALE issue?

6. N4QX

What ALE issue? Will keep an open mind, but half the problem here is people finding issues where there aren't any.

WZ7U likes this.
  7. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm unfamiliar with the ALE issues although I assume it has parallels with someone's QSOs being interrupted?

What is the emission designator of ALE? 3K00H2B?

8. N4QX

Most ALE I am familiar with uses phone. Phone goes in the phone bands. The channel negotiation transmissions are ancillary to the phone and don’t make it not phone.

K0IDT and KX4O like this.
  9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

OK - good :)
    At one time someone complained that ALE channel negotiation couldn't happen in the voice bands and vice versa. I guess that is cleared up.

KX4O and N4QX like this.
  10. N4QX

Yep. This clause from 97.3(c)(5) controls:

Whoever complained was not well founded.

K0IDT and KX4O like this.