ARRL PROPOSAL TO GIVE TECHS MORE HF FREQS - GRATIS.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Jan 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The activity today is more unevenly distributed between modes, bands,days and hours.

But,you are right, the everyday activity is much lower today than in the 50s/60s.
    If one tunes across the lower HF bands in Northern Europe on a typical weekday afternoon you will find that station numbers,
    especially in the Morse segments, are in the low double-digits.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

2. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason I am still a member is that I see an opportunity to right the ship. I'll certainly be asking questions when my own area's elections come up.
    From my perspective there is still a lot of value in the ARRL. I use LoTW. I like the publications. Etc.

3. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the subject is "ARRL PROPOSAL TO GIVE TECHS MORE HF FREQS - GRATIS."

I just mentioned NAVTEX as a tangential, further diversion, in an already diverted thread.

I heard whispers but nothing concrete. What was going on?

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's see.....back then:

- NTS traffic handling was in full swing. There were section, region and area nets going every single day, in practically every ARRL section. And they were real NETS - they handled real, formal messages in standard format. A single section net could have stations passing traffic up 5, up 10, down 5, and down 10, all coordinated on the net frequency.

- The only modes allowed on 80/75 were CW, analog phone, and RTTY. RTTY meant having a real electromechanical teleprinter, with supplies of paper, ribbon and oil, a TU, and a pretty good rx/tx to run the whole thing.

- 160 was full of LORAN and frequency/power restrictions. Most post-WW2 ham gear didn't cover 160 at all. The WARC bands and 60 meters didn't exist either.

- The Novice band was 3700 to 3750 kc. and very busy at night, and most Generals, Conditionals, Advanceds and Extras stayed out of it except to work Novices. 3750-3800 was VE and DX 'phone territory, so most CW ops stayed out that too. What's left was 200 kc. of CW/RTTY space.

- The ham gear most could afford had performance that went down as the frequency went up. Sensitivity, image rejection, stability and tuning rate all got worse on the higher bands. Popular surplus such as the BC-342 and BC-348 didn't cover above 18 MHz, and the common Command sets stopped at 9.1 MHz. Plus there were many low-cost homebrew rigs for 80 and 40.

- Wire antenna restrictions were all but nonexistent.

- Most US hams of those days got started on 80 and 40 CW as Novices. When they upgraded, it was natural for them to stay on those bands.

There's more.....

KB4QAA and N5XH like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't tell the part about arguing, oops discussion, on The Zed? :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    K3KIC likes this.
  6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll just say this: there was a cabal in place, and if you weren't part of the cabal, your opinion was neither considered nor wanted. When really good people like NN1N, KX9X, and others all of the sudden up and quit, there is a problem.

7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

The transparency issues were bothersome, and some of the proposals are downright loony. I just figured it was a money and member retention issue. Lots of non-profits go belly up when they make bad decisions and the dictatorial edicts are generally a result of internal and external pressures to the continued existence of the agency. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI - Roy WB6OVV runs a test center in the SF Bay area. The commercial license written elements can be obtained elsewhere, or credit can be granted from other licenses.

In particular note - "For those who have an expired or unexpired Amateur Extra Class license granted before April 15, 2000 ... credit will be given for Telegraphy Elements 1 and 2."

If you don't have the code element covered, the Maritime Radio Historical Society will administer it at their commercial station KSM, and then if you pass, let you operate it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  9. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A ham with limited privileges should be INSPIRED to upgrade! Just as a race car driver would want to upgrade his car to go faster.

de NK2U

KP4SX likes this.
  10. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All you need is a book...

de NK2U