ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe it is a small number. There's about 200 nations in the world and I suspect that the number that still have Morse code testing is more than those that do not.

A few that some to mind with Morse code testing yet is Brazil, Japan, and India. I suspect most nations in Africa and Asia still require such testing. I suspect most nations in South America require Morse code testing but there is an option of an IARP to operate there which doesn't require Morse code proficiency shown on a government issued license.

To answer your question directly, I don't know. Whenever it comes to mind I'll search the web for a definitive list but keep coming up empty.

I do recall that this problem has come to my attention since the FCC started paring back the Morse code proficiency testing so many years ago. I can vaguely (and perhaps incorrectly) recall people looking for ways to prove 10 WPM Morse code proficiency when the FCC only required showing 5 WPM. Around that time many nations were following the lead of the USA and FCC by dropping their requirements to 5 WPM too. The elimination of Morse code testing completely didn't happen nearly as quickly though.

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

The IARU was leading the FCC, not the other way around. And the number of countries still requiring code proficiency is tiny.

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are several countries - including Britain - that have introduced low power, all-mode, all frequency licences with minimal testing requirements. Those licences are not necessarily accepted for reciprocal licencing purposes around the world - a British Foundation Licence holder cannot assume that he/she can take their rigs away on holiday with them - but there is no question of the ITU outlawing the licences for operation within Britain.

Martin (G8FXC)

4. AC0GT

Perhaps I'm mistaken, can we at least agree this was largely contemporaneous?

Do you have a list of which nations require Morse code testing and those that do not? If someone is going to petition the FCC to have a Morse code proficiency endorsement for Amateur radio licenses then this would be very helpful.

5. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, I understand. Please let us know what International Treaty forbids Techs from operating SSB below 2 meters ?

6. AC0GT

Apparently there is no such prohibition as the Technician allows SSB operation on the 10 meter band which, last I checked, is below 2 meters in frequency. It's also a "high frequency" band, below 30 MHz, and therefore considered a worldwide band.

I recall a big deal was made many years ago that Technician license holders were not tested on how to operate on HF and therefore they should not get a "freebie" on access to allocations granted to Novice and Technician Plus. The FCC has a finely tuned BS detector and pointed out that if this was true then all people with a Technician Plus license were not tested on this either, and knowledge of Morse code did not demonstrate knowledge of how to operate below 30 MHz. The response was the FCC allowed all Technician license holders the same privileges as Technician Plus, and all Technician Plus licenses would become Technician upon renewal. The question pool committee then put questions on HF operation into the Technician question pool.

If Technician license holders are not being tested on how to operate digital and phone modes on HF then they are not being tested for the privileges that they currently hold. If they are being tested on the privileges they currently hold then they would know all they need to know to operate with the privileges as proposed by the ARRL. If there is a need of any correction then that can be made in the next regular revision to the question pool.

When it comes to opposition to adding privileges to Technician I can point to new privileges to General and above privileges in 60 meters, 630 meters, and 2200 meters. This is in addition to other changes made to the question pools, with new modes coming into existence there are long time holders of licenses at General and above that have not been tested on these before being allowed to use them. Winlink seems to be a popular target for this. A quick search of the internet tells me that Winlink was allowed for Amateur radio users only 25 years ago. I'll see many people that will proudly talk about how they've been licensed for 30 years or more. Do we bar these people from using Winlink? Keep them off 60 meters? Maybe we should until they retest.

N4AAB likes this.
  7. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it to me, Heaven forbid, don't make me work for it!
    N0NC

K3XR likes this.
  8. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I fail to understand why some hams get all wrapped around the axle over CW. It’s just one mode of operation. There are many modes of operation, and none of them are required. Why should CW be required?

Since everything is going digital, the FCC should make digital operation a requirement for Extra instead. Sounds silly, right?

N4AAB likes this.
  9. AC0GT

Seriously? What did you do to "work" for anything? You passed a test that teenagers that haven't graduated high school yet routinely pass. The privileges granted are all arbitrary anyway. Judging by the polling this has wide support from people holding licenses of General and higher. This is people telling those with a Technician license to jump in to the HF waters because the water is fine.

Don't be so dramatic. It's not helping your case.

If or when we see a change in Technician privileges it would take only a few years before people forget it even happened. That is of course except those wound up so tight they are still complaining about privilege changes from half a century ago. People are still bitter about the "loss" of frequencies to CB radio and that happened over 60 years ago. Amateur radio operators didn't lose the band, they can still use it. A large part of the reason the band was taken was because Amateur radio operators weren't using it much. If people are all upset about "freebies" to Technician then perhaps the FCC will take another chunk of HF from Amateur radio because of a lack of use.

I proposed many times before on this forum that we propose to the FCC creating a new license to replace Technician instead of trying to get the FCC to change anything with Technician. The idea of a Technician license was never intended to be a "mainline" license anyway. It was supposed to be a license that could be obtained in addition to a "mainline" license. Because of some accidents of history it became so popular that more people hold that license than all the others combined.

Don't mock those with "only" a Technician license, they outnumber you.

N4AAB likes this.
  10. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am also out numbered by the no code extras I'm sure. I'm not upset about hams " losing the 11 meter band" as you put it. I don't need to use 11 meters, that's what 2 meter FM is for. As for what did I work for , I passed the novice, tech, general, and advanced including 5, 13, and 20 wpm code test back in the day before they published the question pool for everyone to study and get an extra licemse, and then get on QRZ to ask how to hook up thier radio, or why their store bought antenna dosen't work. How about you? Why are you so bitter and argumentative. I'm not mocking anyone, some of my best freinds are techs, most however have studied adn up graded, the rest are being helped, and encouraged to do so. If senior licensees would stop bitching and start mentoring, we wouldn't need to give the Tech license additional HF priviledges, they would soon get them by upgrading.

As you told me, don't be so dramatic, lighten up. Oh by the way, "ignored"
    73, And have a nice day.
    Chuck
    N0NC
    OF, Licensed since 1971

Last edited: May 24, 2021