ad: M2Ant-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

With all the current crap going on in the world and some folks are still worried about this two years later? The public has short term memory. I guess that hams do not. :rolleyes:

K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  2. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

why do we even need a license ? call signs are too complicated and leads to many problems
    how about "its Bob in cm88pk /Earth"
    is that too geo-political ?

3. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I was a Tek for around 5 years before i upgraded manly because of time and a 300 mile trip to the FCC Office. But i had a wide area route and meet a lot of people in different areas regularly on 2 meters and enjoyed it. I had met some where the 13 wpm kept them with their efforts into VHF/UHF and were satisfied with it and seemed to be more into SSB , packet and such on 2 meters them. Before cellphone i came up on quite a few accidents and help situations where 2metes often was the only service avalable at the time. But there is so much more you can do with just a Tek license today..73..

KA8EFR likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And I still worry about it because it has the potential to take amateur radio down the drain. If the proposal was passed, then the next logical step would be to forgo licensing altogether. I am more worried about amateur radio becoming CB. And with the current tests as easy as they are, my thought is, if you are going to be licensed to operate a radio station, then you should at least have sufficient knowledge, and self discipline to operate it responsibly.

If you want to be a freebander, go buy a pirate CB rig and a leenyar.

NJ1S, KD0QG and N8ZI like this.
  5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, I think that ship has already sailed. I'm sure you have read the questions posed here from the freshly licensed. I just shake my head. I hope their teeth are ok after getting these licenses out of the Cracker Jack boxes.

KD0QG and KA4DPO like this.
  6. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

COME ON GUYS IM A HAM IM WELL VERSED IN THE RULES AND BI LAWS & I don't see a problem with a fellow ham getting on citizen band radio! I occasionally use 11 meters of course it's dead as a door nail and I don't exceed more then 4.5watts! 73

N4AAB likes this.
  7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a lot of complaints about the supposed demise of Amateur radio and nothing done about it. If there's a problem of the slippery slope of Amateur radio descending into a no test and no license service like CB then perhaps all those bitching about it can draw up a petition to the FCC for changes. Maybe write your elected officials. Join the ARRL and get them involved, or start your own club if you feel the ARRL is also on this slippery slope. If you believe there is no turning back, that there is nothing to be done to save Amateur radio, then why comment on it? How does your complaining help? If Amateur radio is dead to you then sell off your gear, close your QRZ account, and have your FCC license cancelled.

N4AAB likes this.
  8. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just what I see-- Before it was a licence earned by proficiency and it took quite a bit of determination, time, practice and there just weren't that many who were able to qualify for Extra then?....
    Now it is qualification by knowledge and is getting closer to as many Extra as Generals now?
    But-- Nevertheless, The main strength of Ham radio has been and should always be the respect and courtesy regardless of class or longevity or what method licence was acquired and especially to maintain the spreading good will to all here and worldwide that has sets Ham Radio Operators Professionalism above many other groups.. ..This is the real part of Ham radio that must be stressed, taught and especially covered in exams..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    NJ1S and K6MAA like this.
  9. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

People tend to respect what they work hard to achieve.
    It has little value with they obtain it for almost free.

KP4SX, KC1DR, KD0QG and 1 other person like this.
  10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@N8ZI - Yup. Extra's used to gain respect for achieving something that not every one else could achieve. Now, gaining Extra doesn't gain any more respect than gaining Technician.

The writing's on the wall.

(Daniel 5:5–31)

KP4SX, N8ZI and KD0QG like this.