ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0IJJ

W0IJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So yesterday I talked to a friend of mine who has had his license since 1983 and I feel like ever since the morse code requirement was removed that people who get there tech licence a truly not hams and adding even more privileges to a license which requires almost no effort compared to back in the 90's is just disrespectful for the hams who have been what they are since then, this idea in my opinion is idiotic.

2. W0IJJ

though I'm young there is finally someone who understands, thank you

3. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member

Morse code is not a guarantee for attitude or behavior ...

NJ1S, W9FL, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  4. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm not a real ham since I didn't have to learn CW to get a technician class license.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to decipher what you have written. Which idea is idiotic? The idea that some hams think others are not "real hams" or the idea that techs should be granted new privileges?

KD0QG likes this.
  6. W0IJJ

In my book in order to be a true ham its not about CW yes it is a very good thing to know but there is true hams that don't know CW. In order to be a true ham its about actually taking good time and effort into specific things like building antenna's and studying more about HF, cause back then it took a lot and I mean a lot more effort into getting a license, nowadays you can just memorize the answers and walk out with a license that in my book is idiotic in order to be a true ham it takes time and effort actually study about hf and antenna's etc then you will be on your way to being a true ham (I am not yet a true ham in my book)

7. W0IJJ

people back then had to go through a lot more to get the privaliges were given and the fact that something nowadays so easy that is given more compared to people back then is idiotic because It was not easy for a ton of hams and how easy it is t get the license people took a lot more effort into back then is bad, anyways I think the idea of giving techs more privileges that people back then had to work so har for is idiotic

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The license test has never been particularly difficult. People years ago had to pass a Morse code test, which was somewhat idiotic, but a requirement. But no one ever had to know a lot about anything to get a license, never.

Tests and privileges change all the time. The test we have now is similar to the test in 1983, minus the Morse part. The test answers have been readily available since 1983, and longer if you count the "Bash" books.

I got my license in 1974, but my opinion is that anyone who passes the test is a "real ham", in the sense that they are now licensed. The test is not there to sort out your technical prowess, it is there to ensure that you have some rudimentary skills to be a decent control operator. That is all the test does, it "qualifies" you for the minimum requirement to be a control operator.

One of the biggest mistakes hams can make is trying to label others by the class of license they hold, how long they have held it, whether or not they passed a Morse test, if they took the license in front of the FCC examiner or a VE, or whether or not they actually know what a Foster Seeley discriminator is.

9. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder how many of the labeled "real Hams" could walk in today and pass any of the 3 exams without a refresher course.

10. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A “real ham” is a person who has passed the examination for the license class that they hold.

End of story.

K6LPM likes this.