ad: cq2k-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a certain amount of entertainment value with some of the posts. :D

K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I Agree. .... .. HI

I also think every Tech in in the U.S. could have upgraded in 2 years/ especially since they were forced to stay home during the pandemic.
    I know several who were very academically challenged/ who easily upgraded.

K3XR likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not discount the fact that some may be content where they are.
    If you own a keyboard and a mouse there is so much information available it's difficult to imagine you couldn't apply yourself and make the upgrade. I know some folks have other demands on their time and that can make things a bit more difficult. Now you also have code testing out of the equation.

N0NC and K0UO like this.
  4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Today there are questions for HF operation for Technician. There was a time when the Technician written test was identical to the General written. Somewhere in between those times the then combined General and Technician question pool was split down the line of 30 MHz, General tested on material below 30 MHz and Technician tested on material above 30 MHz, and there were no questions specific to HF operation to get a Technician license.

Again, today the Technician question pool tests for HF operation, and in the past they were tested on HF operation as Technician had the same written test as General. But for some period in the middle people could have had HF privileges and not show competency for HF specific operation on a written exam. There's an argument that regardless of band the rules are clear enough that having passed whatever the test was at the time would have been sufficient. The ARRL and other VECs thought there was enough truth in the complaint that they made an effort to correct this oversight.

If you don't believe me then maybe I can dig up something from the ARRL website to show this was the case. If you consider this a minor oversight and of little consequence then I would agree. Either way the people behind the question pool committee owned up to this oversight and corrected it for future question pools.

Nobody is going to spell check you on FM or SSB.

K6LPM and N4AAB like this.