ad: UR5CDX-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then maybe you should stop quoting me. :rolleyes:
    Yes, full stop. They have repeatedly challenged ARRL, et al, to present evidence to them that they are wrong, and to date, nobody has taken up the challenge.
    Indefinitely.
    Indefinitely.
    No, it will continue until somebody submits a petition that has the evidence FCC seeks to justify the changes requested.
    Then again, you aren't the regulator. They have repeatedly said it is an unjustified idea. And it's their judgment that matters.

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

That works both ways, you know that don't you?

3. KE1JF

KE1JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As AC0GT says " Lighten up, it's just a hobby "

4. KE1JF

I just spoke to a young Ham today, an excellent operator, N0JSD, he wanted to be a Ham and studied hard to pass his test.

G5TM likes this.
  5. KE1JF

I know many Techs who don't upgrade because they only want VHF & UHF for their use with the red cross or other emergency communications. Then there are others who do have an interest in operating on HF and advancing so they study and upgrade but all have the option to progress right up to extra if they wish to, if they don't that is their choice.

W9RAC likes this.
  6. KE1JF

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

cracker jack.jpg

K6LPM and KQ0J like this.
  8. N6UBO

N6UBO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's true as well. I've tested a lot of Fire/EMS folks who get their ham license as a way of interfacing with hams auxiliary groups for emergency response. NWS people have also obtained licenses since we started putting Skywarn/Ares stations on the floor with the meteorologists.

Here in Athens UGA offers a degree in Emergency Response and many of those folk are happy with VHF/UHF and stay at the tech level, although a few do go on to higher licenses.

There are lots of reasons why folks don't need/want to progress to higher licenses.

W9RAC likes this.
  9. AC0GT

So, in other words, the status quo will remain until the FCC gets a "better" petition than this one.

Show me where the FCC said this was an unjustified idea, repeatedly. I re-read FCC 05-143 as that was where the FCC made many of the arguments against the proposals for increased privileges for many classes of Amateur radio licenses. What I found to have been made exceedingly clear is that they want as little to do with CW as possible. I believe that any arguments that Technician license holders can "just" operate CW to exercise their HF privileges will not go over very well. The FCC does not see CW as a mode of operation that supports the basis and purpose of Amateur radio.

What I also saw in FCC 05-143 was that the FCC made it quite clear that no one was going to get additional privileges without being tested for them. The FCC did a bit of a reversal on this in FCC 06-178 in allowing Technician license holders access to the same HF privileges afforded to Novice. They also left the door open for future changes.

(I added the emphasis on "at this time".)

So, what can we conclude from this? I believe we can conclude nothing. The FCC has indeed repeatedly denied extending requests for phone privileges on HF for Technician, but I also see that they left themselves the option to reconsider this in the future.

You emphasize that the FCC needs evidence before they can justify any changes to the privileges for any license class. Well, the ARRL made a pretty decent case in their petition. There are many comments submitted on this petition seemed to be fairly supportive. Many of the "opposition" comments conceded that extending digital modes to Technician license holders current HF bandwidth would be justifiable. The comments in support will often bring up that it is "unfair" to limit phone privileges to just SSB, as the petition proposed, in a sub-band where AM and image are common. I believe this will carry some weight.

I don't know what you believe the FCC wants as evidence. I do see plenty of evidence that the FCC is at least taking this petition seriously. It looks like the Amateur radio community is taking this seriously, the number of comments to the FCC and on forums like this one seem to indicate that plenty of people see this as a petition that might cause the FCC to act.

10. AC0GT

Agreed. This "problem" of not upgrading is not unique to Technician license holders.