ad: MyersEng-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA7UW

VA7UW Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I would like to see changed, and I know this will cause outrage, if not a riot...
    With the amount of commercially built ham gear now, it is not required to build your own anything. There are a lot of people that would like to simply operate, and not build, fix, or modify their commercially purchased equipment. Many of these people are also excellent operators. I personally think there should be an "operator" exam for all amateur bands, where you can only use factory built equipment, NO home brew anything, NO repairing or modifying of any equipment. from the factory, and strictly just operate the commercially produced equipment. That's it, That's all.
    Then also have a separate class of licence for people that want to "play around" with electronics. They will have a separate class of license that will allow them to "home brew" equipment, modify equipment, repair radios, etc.
    Basically;
    Operator: commercially produced equipment, and don't even open the covers.
    Tech: build it, fix it, modify it.
    I know a whole lot of people that have the amateur privilege of building, fixing, and repairing, that have absolutely no idea what they're doing, and going beyond the regulations of bandwidth, emissions, causing a danger to themselves and others, etc. and that's okay, because they passed the test?
    Technology is changing. Commercially produced equipment is abundant, and affordable. Why should we remain with our antiquated regulations, that yes, at one point were practical, and necessary, but now are obsolete?
    It's time we got away from the "Old Boys" club, and adapt to the advances of modern technology.

2. KD0NPT

KD0NPT Ham Member QRZ Page

NEXT....Free No Test Licenses For All! ... Yippee Yippee!

W9RAC likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid that's where we're going, ultimately. Maybe not for some years to come - but I'm pretty sure that in fact is what is "next"

Dave
    W7UUU

K4XJ, KA4DPO, WG7X and 2 others like this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted a free upgrade from being a Novice to Technician, but I never got it, so I had to earn it. I wanted a free upgrade from being a Technician to General, but I never got it, so I had to earn it. I wanted a free upgrade from being a General to Extra, but I never got it, so I had to earn it. Along the way I leaned things I use now, try it grasshopper, learn and earn you will become a more knowledgeable Amateur OP with pride. 73 Rich

K4XJ, WN1MB, KA2K and 2 others like this.
  5. W9RAC

Dave we will NEVER see any FREE CW OP's sir, we are safe. 73 Rich

6. W9RAC

That's the MORE crowd for sure....what they do not seem to understand that ultimately it is self destruction for all. 27Mhz here we come, move over. 73 Rich

K4XJ likes this.
  7. WW5JS

WW5JS Ham Member QRZ Page

This idea makes perfect sense to me.

But I see a critical flaw in it. Where's the money in it for the ARRL, commercial radio manufacturers and retailers? Without that the idea probably has zero chance in real life, unfortunately.

Taking me as an example, my interest in commercial gear has waned over the past year, and my spend on "ham radio gear" has shifted from the ARRL and companies like Yaesu and MFJ. Now it all goes to companies that make electronic components, kits, tools and instruments. Too many licensed amateur ops like me would definitely not be good for the ham radio industrial establishment, which controls the levers of power we all live under.

Jason

8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Well done! I have that special sarcasm font installed on my computer so I saw it perfectly. More people need to be aware of the sarcasm font. On a side note. If you give everyone a camera on their phone they all think they are professional photographers. I digress. I bet if you look back at 2005 (or was it 2007? ) these are exactly the same comments on the elimination of Morse code.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2019
    WU8Y and N2SUB like this.
  9. N8GDX

N8GDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember thinking, "I don't need to upgrade my license" why would I want to have to, spin the dial to find a signal in all that noise, when I can just scan memory channels for guys talking on repeaters. Then I started using C4FM Wires-X, and discovered I could listen and talk with operators all over the world. but being able to do that with a 100watts and a wire, is an interesting challenge. That's when I started studying for the General. So I don't agree with giving Techs portions of the General sections of the lower bands, Techs will get the itch on their own, using the internet assisted modes. (I do understand why it is being proposed, old hams are dying out, quicker than young hams are getting in)
    73 N8GDX

10. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. What class license would be required to perform a "MARS mod" on an HF transceiver, to "open it up" on 11 meters?

I ask this as I recently heard a guy on 2 meters talk about "opening up" his IC-706 for 11 meters.:confused::confused::confused:

11. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as Pactor is Excluded, it could be a sound idea. What we dont need is a boat load of new pactor operators in crowded narrow band digital sub-bands and pactor then just takes over the majority of the waterfall when it chooses to without detection of other signals already on the band...

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we are losing sight of the issue: Part 97.

If more than 50% of your licensed pool never gets on the air,and that means never ever, then the mission statement bullets of Part 97 are not being met. Right now, that is the case.

You welcomed Techs with phone privileges on 10M, and they've gotta dead band. It may never recover. It's not 1999 ...when you could work Nauru with 5 watts on 10M SSB...

So we've all BOUGHT INTO TECH HF phone privileges. But we've short changed them with a dead band. Adding bands -- as this request suggests--just makes that practical for Techs in 2019.

Now---digital. I don't get why there should be ANY resistance to letting Techs use FT8 (for instance) on, say, 80,40, and 15. What exactly is the downside to that? The bandwidth used is such a small fraction of the overall allottment that its a non issue. Waterfall getting crowded? Add more freqs. Still no impact on the negative side.

Think about it...

Chip W1YW

13. W9RAC

Well Chip I think some of the resistance may be ....if 50% are not on the air its likely because they do not want to be. Do you believe honesty the General class hurtle is to high for them? They want to be on HF but they just can't make it? If they are given HF privileges the will instantly become active amateurs on HF? You been around a long time Chip, I suspect you know better. It requires a desire to improve Chip, the experiment of the "more" mentality can easily be witnessed anytime on 27 Mhz. Take a stroll down that band and see how its playing out. That is your destiny with the "free for all logic." It's not a pretty sight sir. 73 Rich

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    K4XJ, WQ4G and W7UUU like this.
  14. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I do think ham radio is better today. I have a US Navy technical radar repair background. 64 weeks of classroom instruction. I got aboard ship and they told me to forget most of that, a salt water corrosion environment changes everything.

I also have a Bach of Science in Computer Science, and CompTIA A+ certification. The first was programming, the later tested my ability to repair computers. My personal experience is some parts of theCompTIA tests were mistaken, even if they were from questions asked of the Best Technicians Ever. Yeah, I could hear the capotilized words in the tester's voice.

But I have no EE degree, no experience with installing mains lines in a building.

I found all 3 tests difficult. There were parts I knew the answer due to working on circuits in the Navy where a minor error could have gotten me killed due to high voltage. Vacuum tube/valve air search radars are not forgiving of carelessness. And various auxillary gear like the distribution system and the radar PPI scopes.

I've worked a bit with arduinos, but my Windows computer doesn't like them. Apparently even numbered versions of Windows is the difficult bit, but my Win 7 desktop has issues I need to fix. Just very basic stuff as I was trying to learn the limitations, etc. Haven't had time to work with them for a couple of years now.

15. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

If I hear someone calling CQ I reply. I might check to see if they are in the correct part of the band. I have talked to Techs, after I got my general. And when I get back on the air, hopefully after we get my shed sealed up and the wasps out, I'll talk to techs as an extra.

If I could go on the air and listen for a month, and heard General and Extras conducting themselves, especially the ones who have been on the air for decades, like they are supposed to, the naysayers about Tech voice privs would get me to go with no voice for Technicians.

But... well, the ones already on the air who cuss and yell, demand people get off their frequency, etc. need to stop that. If they wont, then they need to be fined by the FCC. And if they keep it up, they should stay off the air. Spin the dial only works so long as there is bandwidth, but with low sunspots, that doesn't always work. Yeah, I do dream folks.

WU8Y likes this.