ad: elecraft

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0IW

W0IW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio never was broken until the Arrl petitioned The fcc to get rid of the
    novice license and it’s working Elmer
    ideologue that was used to validated potential
    New people from crazy free banders or lazy posers
    Just trying to sneak into the ham ranks without
    Learning the ropes and who didn’t want to work for the ham license back then...!!!
    Elmer’s used one on one Teaching and careful mentoring along with hands on the training to teach each novice any and all the ropes about ham radio and it’s rich traditions, and camaraderie,
    until the (((ARRL broke it))), all by making it all just a dumbed down test with all the answers
    In the back of the book so that anyone can memorize and pass any of the so called ham tests over just one weekend of study ... —- ...

Sad state of affairs we have all allowed the ARRL
    To Run things unchecked for much too long and they have mucked Up the waters for us all now
    And for what...??? So they can sell more magazine subscription just for the money...

Thereby destroying what took generations to build
    By carefully elmering and validating new hams...!!!

So now we have know nothing Techs who learn to memorize ham test answers who
    ((can’t even solder)) a pl259 connector to save a life, then they become know nothing generals, who can’t even build a dipole, and then ((( wow))) we finally get to 12 year old extras who say things like I have read about pl259 connectors so that’s a real one wow.. man ...!!!

So I say again really ARRL what’s next .

Ham radio needs a new Wayne Green and fast ...!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    K6LPM, KD5RJZ and K0UO like this.
  2. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am wondering how Ham Radio survived in the past during solar cycle minimums. I am really neutral on this change, I think you may just as well get rid of the General class because it doesn't mean anything anymore. And, to be honest, the material that you have to learn doesn't make you a better operator either.

Revamp the whole darn thing, teach a prospective ham radio operator what he/she needs to succeed, instead of asking meaningless technical question which don't prove anything. Have applicants demonstrate that they can operate a radio, hook up an antenna and help to keep up this wonderful hobby.

W0IW likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

The only really true Amateur band areas now are located in the CW portions. I was a avid SSB OP for many many years, and have seen the degradation of it to the point of it being mostly unusable. Cursing, arguments, and behavior of the like have made me embarrassed to ever let a prospective Amateur listen in, save a few honorable groups which yet still exist. My SSB these days makes up around 5% of my activity, from 99%. Why? The ever continuing uneducated pollution of voice operators, which appears to be ever more the agenda of the ARRL. More is not better, quality is better. I can visualize a day when the voice bands will one class, it will be filed with the remedance of partially trained to low trained OP's.... some with no radio education. But we will have "more", so sir that's what's wrong with the equation you present. When you wake up one morning and you have decided you have had enough and want to become a "Ham", learn a skill to use, CW... then you can stop pretending. There are NO free lunches there, you will be accompanied by others who have earned it also. 73 Rich

WB0MQA, K6LPM and N8AFT like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I SHARE YOUR SENTIMENTS OM RICH... CURRENTLY I AM MENTORING A CANDIDATE TECH .
    HE'S MASTERING MORSE. HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT 2M FM AND THE LIKE BUT WAS DRAWN TO INVESTIGATE FURTHER BY KNOWING OF MY USE OF ONE SINGLE MODE OF OPERATION; CW
    WE CAN'T QUIT MENTORING AND ELMERING YET... PROMOTE ES PRACTICE SOUND HAM ETHICS!

LEARN MORSE.
    DO CW.

W9RAC, K6LPM, KD5RJZ and 1 other person like this.
  5. KE8G

KE8G Ham Member QRZ Page

A typical U.S. mentality... it's too hard, so lower the standard and give it away!

My XYL has no interest in ham radio, BUT she decided to get her license "for the heck of it". She aced the Tech test, and then a month later aced the General test. My wife is no dummy, but she is not tech or electronically savvy by any means. If she can ace the General class license, then a current Tech should have no problem passing it.

Quit being lazy and looking for a handout!

Just my 2 cents.

73 de Jim - KE8G

BTW - her vanity call sign is KD8CMB

K4AGO, N8ZI, W9RAC and 5 others like this.
  6. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that seems like a pretty broad brush to paint other Hams with, and frankly, I don't know anyone like that. In order to find out what class license they have, you'd need to look them up on the computer.

Frankly, I don't have the inclination to do so until after the QSO, or if a Ham specifically references their QRZ page to look at their Bio.

With the vanity call system the way it is, I not only can't tell what class you are, but what call area you are actually in :D

K4AGO, K6LPM and WG7X like this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I studied and passed the Tech and General in one session, then came back and did the Extra a few months later. I found that approach to be a more effective way to get HF privileges than to whine and complain until someone gave it to me.

So if putting in a little effort and passing tests to get licensed is "elistist" then I guess I'm an elitist.

K4AGO likes this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not exactly. The Technician and General are 350 question tests, and the Extra is 500 question test. Total 1,200 questions to get all the way. You only need to get correct, what, 70%, so it's really 840 questions, not 35+35+50, that you have to be prepared to answer correctly.

If there's a problem, in my opinion, it's that the present question pool approach to testing is antiquated and messed up. I don't have a problem with 35 or 50 queestions to answer, but this requirement of having a pool of 10x the number of questions on the test (actually 11x, because the QPC includes extra questions) was arrived at arbitrarily and in my opinion having total question pools of 350+350+500 does not make anyone a better ham, than would question pools half or a quarter of that size. That's where I would attack the "problem" is not privileges, but the Part 97 requirements on the question pools.

KD2MIC likes this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I will first admit that I have not read through all the posts in this thread. With that being said.....

If they are going to give away privileges why don't they grandfather the Advanced Ops in for Extras? I waited for more than 20 years, as an Advanced Class, for them to do this. Way back when I took my Advanced test (if I remember correctly) the only difference between the Advance test and the Extra test was the 20 wpm (or was it 22 wpm) code requirement. The written part was the same for Extra and Advanced (wasn't it?). So all the Advanced Class Ops have already passed the Extra test. Why not go ahead and give them the Extra ticket since code is no longer a requirement?

Why is this not included with the 'proposed' changes to the Tech Privileges? One reason I can see is because grandfathering Advanced Ops as Extras does not sell more equipment. Most advanced ops already own HF equipment, but techs do not. Grandfathering Advanced Ops does nothing to bolster equipment sales.

Additionally, Techs already have some HF privileges - do they not? How many of them are using the HF privileges they already have? When I was a Novice CW did not keep me off the HF bands. Why does it now keep Techs off the HF bands? Personally, I think it is because in order to use their current privileges they would have to work a little for it and learn a new skill. Oh, FYI, 10 meters is not completely dead. There is some propagation on the band. Why are the Techs not using it?

IMO giving Techs more HF privileges does not pass the smell test. And, if they are going to give stuff away, why not grandfather all those Advanced Ops into Extras? I think the Techs, if they want more privileges, should just buck up and take that test. It's really not that hard now days with all the study aids and published question pools available to them.

Dan KI4AX

KC1DR likes this.
  10. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

no comment.

11. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

no comment here , there are 11.000 novices still out there , so what are they going to do with them ? if thy leave them out , the ARRL with loose most of those 11,000 , so much for making things better

12. N6UBO

N6UBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your initial comment is based on the assumption that most/all techs are interested in HF. I would have to argue that your basic premise is inaccurate. I know a lot of Techs who are interested only in VHF/UHF operation around town or are happy with the linked nets available digitally on VHF/UHF ( forgive my ignorance there, I have NO interest in those modes).

Those who do have HF interest are motivated enough to progress up to General and higher licenses to obtain those privileges.

Also, the excuse that propagation is poor so there's no incentive is backwards in my less then humble opinion. If bands are poor we are only showing them that they worked hard for no reason.

Let the solar cycle come up and when the Techs who have an interest in HF see what's going on THAT will motivate them to upgrade.

Again, I know ton's of Techs who have no interest in HF.

WG7X, W9RAC and KD2MIC like this.
  13. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The general license is already pathetically easy to get.

I think it's pretty obvious this is just a ploy for Winlink/Sailmail/ARRL to make some cash at the expense of real hams.

It's getting to the point where I think the ARRL will start to lose influence and hopefully be replaced by a more reputable organization.

KC1DR and ND6M like this.
  14. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Ban CW. It is a backward mode which retards the Radio Art.

15. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong, completely and totally.