ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. A2PHIL

A2PHIL QRZ Member

From what I've heard on the bands locally, there hasn't been a new ham in a good 20-30 YEARS!!! It seems like EVERYONE is an Extra, got their license right after they got out of High School or the military 20+ years ago, at least 50 years old, etc...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    WU8Y likes this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger, My response was not directed at you. That is why we use the at "@" sign in front of a registered members call. It is supposed to alert them to the fact that someones respnded to their message without necessarily quoting the post. like I did above.

Now to your point: Yes, this poor operating is across the board and not limited to any one license class.

Unfortunately.

That was my only point in regards to K9TRD's post.

W9YZI and KG5YEJ like this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the others got locked due to people hijacking the thread to post silly or hateful, off-topic, fatuous remarks.

Let's keep this one civil and on-topic.

N4AAB likes this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had my sister over and had one of those frozen pizzas. After dinner I asked how did she like the pizza. She said that it was terrible pizza but it tasted pretty good. I was like what? she said that did not qualify as pizza. So for pizza that was really bad! But It would be pretty good if it was called by another name.

It seems like many want to redefine what ham radio is to save the hobby. But I say if it is going to die let it die with its boots on. Really the General class test is pretty easy, not like they used to be. Not everyone is cut out to be a ham. Thats ok, heck I will never dunk a basketball.

W4HM, KD5RJZ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

My point is, just giving it away isn't going to help the hobby, but being good Elmer's and getting people on the air certainly will.
    Whether you give away more frequencies or not, they're still going to need help and encouragement. And they need to experience good operating procedures. Or we will all be right back where we're at right now. How many of you have ever helped a technician get on HF????? And I don't mean help just them pick out a rig at a hamfest. I mean help them get their power supply, their transceiver, antenna tuner, their coax, and antenna in the air and make some contacts with them.
    They won't catch the fever until that happens.
    The only real ham is one that's on the air and making contacts.
    73s

A2PHIL, N4AAB and KG5YEJ like this.
  6. W8QAS

W8QAS Subscriber QRZ Page

For a long time, ARRL membership has declined. They stopped representing its members and focused on the money. SHAME ON THEM. I think this nothing more than a "Look at Me" drive to increase initial membership and get more hams. However, once they see the ARRL doesn't really represent them, they'll quit, repeat cycle.... If ARRL really wants to improve things, scrap all of upper management, enact term limits (if they don't already have them) and go back to representing the ham operator, this includes NTS & ARES.... not that joke insult they recently came out with. Seriously? What were you thinking? They had to pass a resolution recognizing functions that have been around for more than 25 years? I know we all feel better about ARRL & ham radio now that they wasted that time trying to look good.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why weren't we crying when the original Technician class was meant to encourage development on the bands above 50 MHz, in exchange for an easier CW requirement? I thought this "incentive licensing" was supposed to grow the hobby. Now it seems because it's raining outside, (Technician class holders are "unhappy") suddenly we wanna reverse the poles. If you look at amateur radio growth in the period between 1968 and 1978 compared to the growth between 2000 and 2010 .... growth exploded in the millennium. So how big does the explosion have to be? Hobby not growing fast enough for you? Sheesh!

8. A2PHIL

A2PHIL QRZ Member

Maybe it's the elitist Generals and Extras that won't give the "newbies" so much as the time of day, let alone actually TALK to them on ANY band!!!

K9KXW, N4AAB and WU8Y like this.
  9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

How much further do you plan to aid the downslide of Ham Radio?

10. A2PHIL

A2PHIL QRZ Member

I'm not a ham (yet) so maybe I'm spitballing.
    Allow the Techs voice privileges on an unused/underused portion(s) of the HF band, just say about a 250 kHz segment or so, with a power limit of say 50 watts, that way, they can still work digital modes and local voice DX, those portions open to Techs ONLY, so they don't have to worry about hearing the "figure it out yourself, like I had to" Generals and Extras...