ad: elecraft

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There’s always that ten percent that don’t get the word...

As far as the OP goes: TL:dr

W3MMR and ND0TS like this.
  2. KG5YEJ

KG5YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never posted on a forum and probably never will again ... I have seen several comments on here that know "techs" as being "undisciplined, void of knowledge" This is one of the things that is a rude statement, why should anyone want to be a HAM or advance if the tech is treated as a non superior class! Why would we want to become members of clubs and what not if we are treated as stupid or uneducated. I have been studying for my general but do to heath and mental issues it is making it very hard to retrain information. Trust me when I tell you that I have been studying the hell out it. I am for the expansion of the band to the Tech class ... but only a small portion of it ... Just a taste ... I am tired of being stuck on 10m because I am having problems with the test and remembering the information. What would be so bad about a tech being able to use digital modes of 20m ... I have heard some xtras out there that are undisciplined, void of knowledge and very very rude (foul language and down talking to the lower class (general and tech). The techs are not bad apples ... I am very professional and polite on the radio .. That is the way that I have been taught to be. If you get a bad apple out there ... Report him ... Just like I would report tech, general or xtra that is being a complete jerk off and not really following a code of conduct.

That is my 2 cents
    Roger

KE1JF, K6GBA, W9ANW and 9 others like this.
  3. WG7X

@K9TRD: Your post was full of generalities regarding Extra class operators. Can you back up your claims?

Now granted, the top end of forty and especially eighty meters can be full of poor operators. That much I have to admit, however you are painting with a very broad brush aren’t you?

Obviously as an Extra, I take that post a bit personally but not that personally, after all this is “da Zed” a place where hyperbole is a way of life!

KD0QG and AB9TX like this.
  4. WG7X

My, my... This thread is on the highway to to,the bit bucket!

KD0QG likes this.
  5. KG5YEJ

KG5YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I can back up the claims and it is not only xtra or generals ... There is always a bad apple in everything .. Not to be taken personally as I didnt point a finger .. I was just making a comment on how the Tech class is talked down as uneducated. And yep ... this is QRZ everyone has a opinion ... I would just love to have a small portion of 20m for digital or voice ... 10m sucks ... LOL

Roger

N3HOE likes this.
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is interesting. I had not heard that. Is there a link to the source. If this is the case, it would be extremely discouraging.

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Really? Maybe, just maybe, a lot of Extra class operators choose not to get involved in those conversations. You know, the silent majority. Your disparaging remarks are tantamount to the conversations you allude to.

You cast a very wide net. If, in your opinion, extra class operators aren't doing a good job at "setting a good example", why not BECOME AN EXTRA CLASS OPERATOR and show us how it's done. Talk is cheap. Insults are cheaper.

W3MMR, K8XG and KC1DR like this.
  8. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just read your post but disagree. While driving, smoking, texting, and drinking my Jack and Coke I tend to agree with the video maker that it is totally safe to drive and video record. ALL OF THAT IS A JOKE! Why is this even in the QRZ News spot? IT ISN'T NEWS!!!! It is someone that posted in the forum and QRZ's 'robot' put it as news. I think I will post a thread about naked amateur radio use. Do you really know if the other person is clothed while you talk to them? Any other STUPID posts that can be placed in the News spot on the homepage???!!!!!

KD5RJZ likes this.
  9. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Rodger, congratulations on being a Tech. There is zero wrong with being a Tech. One of my Elmers was a Tech until way later in his life when his Sons encouraged him to upgrade.
    He was one of most knowledgeable people I know.

That said, his Tech license was the General written element and 5wpm code vs 13wpm for the General.

The Novice License used to be the beginner license, had a limit of 2 years, and had no voice privileges at less than 100W, so the Tech license is quite a few steps up; you got 28 mhz and above open to you with a written test that about equivalent to the old Novice test. Man, if I was you, I'd be all over your new privileges instead of pineing for HF.

Hoping not to sound elitist, but...
    Since one of our pillars is to act as good will ambassadors we don't really want newbies on the HF bands. I've heard some of the new Techs on the repeaters. Some like you are highly motivated to learn the ropes and to pay their dues. But some are, to be frank, complete imbicils, and my hope is that the General test is the "you need to be this high to ride" test.

IMHO the Tech is one of the most under-used licenses tickets out there.
    You would think that the VHF bands would be covered in Techs, but I hardly ever talk to a Tech on 2 or 6M SSB Phone, CW, or a Digital mode, now why is that? Almost every HF rig made now is HF+6. So why so few Techs on VHF? Maybe they read that QRZ band indicator and assume there is no activity because it's "closed".

FWIW, I went from Novice, to General, to Extra. I stayed a General for decades and only upgraded because when I did run HF, I didn't want to worry about where the General/Etra divider was on the band plan :)

KE5ES and KG5YEJ like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And then presented it as "news?"

KE5ES and KD5RJZ like this.
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like there are two options to get there:

(a) Pass the test, upgrade to General.

(b) Wait long enough, and see if the ARRL has convinced the FCC to give it to you.

The third option, whine about it and blame your problem on extras and generals, doesn't get you there.

10 meters is actually a very interesting band, even during sunspot minimum like we are in now. On the other hand, if you all you want to do is yak on the radio at will, then 10 meters is not for you, even during a sunspot maximum.

12. K7ULS

K7ULS Ham Member QRZ Page

WJ4U, K8XG and KG5YEJ like this.
  13. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I would love to see more Technician Class be more involved, and see how much fun HF is. I remember shortly after getting my license, I purchased a used 10 meter rig; put up a 10 meter antenna, and called CQ on the portion of the band that I was allowed to transmit on - and heard nothing. I later found out why because of Solar minimum. I didn't let it discourage me; I decided at that point I was going to upgrade, because HF was my goal.

I'm not sure I would have upgraded to General if I had HF privileges as a Technician. Granted, I enjoy the hobby a lot more as a General. And, someday I'll go and get Extra. But for now, General suits me just fine.

KC3MTB and K0GOV like this.
  14. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure there are a number of Techs who do exactly that, and that is OK. There are a lot of interesting and challenging things one can do with a Technician license on VHF/UHF/Microwave etc.

We seem to believe that being on HF is the "holy grail", but is it really?

I wonder sometimes if things are back-asswards. Maybe General should be the "entry class" and you should have to "upgrade" to get access to VHF/UHF/Micorwave.

K9KXW likes this.
  15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The concept is not without merit, it's the plan that is faulty.
    First, call it what it is, a Novice or if you will, FOUNDTION license.
    Next, give a taste, not the whole nine yards of privilege. Too many khz, too much power.
    They propose giving the Data frequencies General and Advanced have on 80-40-15_10,
    Way too much, give 25-30 khz at 25watts maximum(100%duty cycle). Plenty for data without spreading across the band. Same for SSB, lower power, smaller segments.
    THIS would give a taste and an incentive to upgrade as well as teach just how much you can accomplish without towers, kw amplifiers and the like. And rename the class to Beginner, Novice or Foundation.

Just one more thing, there should be an EXPERIENCE requirement, one year with beginning license to test for General, Two years as General to test for Extra. This should make the ARRL and their advertisers happy as it will sell the beginners gear they will upgrade from or add to .

WN1MB and KG5YEJ like this.