ARRL Policy Review News

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jan 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Very typical "we did nothing wrong and everything is butterflies and soft bunny rabbits here. " An acknowledgement of the issues would go a long way now. No apology necessary.

NK2U and K1OIK like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Look again, Charlie.

I found the paragraph of the article concerning elections VERY enlightening. In short, going forward, potential candidates WILL be given ample opportunity to question why a nomination has been rejected (at least 10 days, AND the reasons WILL be made public. The potential candidates will also be informed of this at the time their nominations are received, which means no one can complain that they weren’t informed of the process in advance,

That is a HUGE step forward, a HUGE step toward transparency, and a tacit admission that the old policies of near-secrecy were wrong.

I call that a positive step. What do you call it?

K2XT likes this.
  4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, I feel like they did listen to us. It took an army of people writing letters and many people pulling financial support to do it and while I wish it wouldn't have taken such drastic measures to get where they are I am being optimistic about the future.

N2SUB likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve been saying that for a long time.

How many times in the past has someone had a gripe against some ARRL policy or whatever... ya tell them to write... and the answer comes back to the likes of “what good would it do?”

But enough people write, it adds up, and they take notice.

No, it should not have taken measures this drastic. But it did. And the measures worked.

Now we can’t be complacent and go back to business as usual. We don’t have to be nasty, and when something is done right, we have to tell them that too. But we have to make sure that the Leaders actually LISTEN to us. Not just yesterday or today, but for time to come as well.

ND6M likes this.
  6. KK5JY

Well, it appears that some of the objectionable policies weren't permanently removed, but rather placed under review:
    Emphasis added.

It would seem that there are still issues that aren't permanently resolved until those reviews (and any related permanent changes) are completed.

So yes, I would agree that it would be premature to presume the various issues to be resolved at this point in time.

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a plan...but this is a hobby. I understand your position, and I wish you luck in staying on top of the ARRL. My hobby is radio, not corporate oversight, so I'll just be on my way. I've already got a day job.

NK2U and KK5JY like this.
  8. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too... and there's enough politics there to keep me satisfied.

However, since it's the only organization representing us- gotta give some respect to those who are watching, informing, and providing pressure.

NK2U, WZ7U and N2SUB like this.
  9. KK5JY

Why do people keep saying that? :(

AI7PM, NK2U and N2SUB like this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on board early doing just that. And now that we've been heard, I've had enough. I don't want to do it again. I took my share of lumps on the Zed before everything came to a head and everyone saw what was happening. I'm just not interested in doing it again. Ever.