ad: elecraft

ARRL Petitions FCC to add RTTY 3500-3650 KHZ

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K6JJR, Feb 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nonsense. You have FCC regulation confused with ARRL band plan.

2. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense. I have posted the suggested ARRL band plan. You might want to work on reading and comprehension.

VK5EEE likes this.
  3. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct. It used to go to 3650 but the FCC in it's wisdom, and against ARRL recommendations, gave the 50KHz that used to be CW/Digital to the Phone guys.

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

First, consider that CW--A1A-- is authorized from 3500 to 4000 kHz--restricted by license privileges--even though it is popularly used in the lower end of the spectrum. RTTY/Data is only authorized from 3500 to 3600 kHz at the moment so the proposal only affects RTTY/Data, not CW. What would change for CW operations is that all license classes would be able to operate CW again from 3600 to 3650 kHz (given that all license classes may currently operate CW from 3525 to 3600, presumably the upper limit would be raised to 3650 kHz). Remember that CW (A1A) is authorized in the USA on all amateur radio frequency allocations except for the restrictions governing the 60m channels.

CW operators should welcome this correction of FCC overreach.

VK5EEE likes this.
  5. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we all know the difference between the law (FCC) and the (gentlemens) band plans (ARRL). We all know that SSB can transmit on 3501kHz in USB legally. SO I'd like to make it clear I'm talking about the ARRL Band Plan in this post, trying to make sense of things: so please refer for the purpose of this post and comment, to: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands_bw.pdf which is the ARRL Band Plans.

1) I don't see ANY "exclusive" CW parts of any of the HF amateur bands, and that used to be the case in the past.
    2) I see that RTTY instead is shown as all the way down to 3500, 14000, etc.
    3) I see a side bar note that CW is allowed on all frequencies.

Given, that CW is indeed being pushed out of the (previously EXCLUSIVE CW BANDS) by DCW and RTTY, and even (mostly pirate) SSB in some parts of the world, and given that RTTY is SERIOUS QRM to CW, whereas SSB is annoying but we can always get through it, it seems clear that CW has to simply shift to the top end of the bands, which we've not done for decades, we've left SSB alone up there. Seems that now, we have more chance of avoiding harmful QRM (RTTY users indeed are not traditional RTTY *operators*, they are also now lemming keyboard *users*) and RTTY users ride rough shod over CW, and after all most of them can't copy CW so they ignore QSY, given all this we now would be better off making use of the top end of all the bands instead of the bottom end.

6. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, no, no.

We don't have any "clear spectrum" for CW on HF now. Every Hz of non-phone spectrum below 30 MHz is currently shared with RTTY.

Ironically, the ONLY CW-only subbands in Part 97 are on 6 and 2 meters.

There's an ENORMOUS difference between REGULATIONS and BAND PLANS.

REGULATIONS are the LAW.

BAND PLANS are SUGGESTIONS. Gentleman's agreements. Nothing more.

Do you really not understand the difference?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    N0NB likes this.
  8. VK5EEE

Indeed, I've seen that too, but did you NOT notice that there is NO MENTION of ANY CW EXCLUSIVE bands in the ARRL band plan, unlike most all other countries in the world? I don't think any CW operator would miss that glaring ommission, and I wonder if CW ops even know about this and why ARRL is now anti-CW.

9. VK5EEE

As N2EY pointed out there isn't even a suggestion for CW, ARRL have concluded we're dead. So up to the SSB section folks, time to use the empty quiet spaces up there.

10. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming you are looking at the band plan ( http://www.arrl.org/band-plan ) and not the FCC allocations, you might notice a few oddities:

80 metres appears to start at 3.590 MHz,
    40 metres appears to start at 7.040 MHz,
    30 metres appears to start at 10.130 MHz,
    20 metres appears to start at 14.070 MHz.
    ...etc.

For the most part, it simply doesn't bother mentioning the bits of band where CW is the only mode. It isn't anti-CW, it just not bothering to mention the obvious, that CW is permitted everywhere...

N0NB likes this.