ad: UR5CDX-1

ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the comment deadline?

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe never.

Anyone can file a Petition with the FCC. But it's up to the agency whether to act on it. Nothing has happened yet to trigger a Comment period. It's just sitting there, getting discussed here.

Good
    rehearsal.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A very good friend once replied to a similar statement I had made with:

"ACTION, Jeff - not words. ACTION!"

It stung at the time, but was exactly what I needed to hear. And it was some of the best advice I've gotten.

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, hospitals in GA are required to have a ham emcom station.

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Power went off again yesterday, but only for 4 hours.
    With so many trees down on wires I thought it would be a lot longer.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC won't be taking comments until it is assigned an RM- number (if it ever is), and they have no deadline to do so. If/when it is assigned a number, they will release a public notice. The ARRL will most likely post the announcement on their website.

Remember, they sat on W.B. Prechtl's Petition to outlaw AM for several years with no action, until they found it convenient to assign it an RM- number as a component of their chicanery with the AM power issue.

WU8Y likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an interesting titbit just released on the ARRL website. Not just the amateur power issue in Sweden, but their concept of licensing:

Amateur Radio licenses were eliminated in Sweden in 2004, and Amateur Radio in Sweden is “permission free”...but prospective radio amateurs still must pass an examination... a certificate and a call sign, valid for life, are issued without any future fees. The maximum permitted power on most HF bands is 1 kW; that power level would not necessarily be guaranteed under an Amateur Radio license, and conditions could apply.

The PTS’s rationale is that requiring a license for radio amateurs who want to run more than 200 W will make it easier to trace any interference that those transmitters may cause.

“The matter is widely discussed in Sweden, since there are quite a few opponents to permission-free operation, resulting — in their eyes — in degradation of quality and discipline on the air.

http://www.arrl.org/news/swedish-te...ng-charging-hams-a-fee-to-run-more-than-200-w

WU8Y and WA3VJB like this.
  8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

my suggestion is make it like a cb radio license. just fill an applications,you have all freq's,all modes,go anywhere,do anything, it's gonna come to that anyways. Back When I got my novice; 25 questions,75 watts,crystal controlled, 80,40,15 meters cw. Nothing wrong with that, it made you study more and then in another year or two, upgrade to general. But When I was a novice, I had was, on 15 and 40.

W1TRY likes this.
  9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I did some research, Don, to test whether Sweden's radio hobbyists align with those in the U.S. Their version of a "license" became a "certificate," as the above paragraph describes, but it was easy to mistake the elimination of a license in 2004 as the same sort of move by the FCC to discontinue individual licenses for users of the 11 meter Citizens Band (CB) and to forego any licensing for users of the more recent "Family Radio Service" (FRS).

There's an excellent 2016 paper about Sweden's version of our Amateur Service, that documents the same declining interest among licensees that reports about the U.S. hobby have indicated. The report was commissioned to examine the public's exposure to electro-magnetic fields (EMF), but the research that led to a conclusion of "no problem" is ominous for the hobby there and carries parallels here.

Among the findings is a net loss in the number of Sweden's certified radio hobbyists in the time since the country's "license" became a "certificate." The number of new "SA" prefix call sign holders has not overcome losses from departure or death of pre-2004 "SM" call sign holders (the distinguishing prefix between the two types of hobbyists). This finding could support U.S. licensees who oppose the League's proposed changes, since it may undercut the claimed value regarding growth.

Good reading, somewhat lengthy.

http://www.esr.se/phocadownload/emc...files_of_amateur_radio_stations_in_Sweden.pdf

But also interesting, in light of the fresh Petition from the ARRL, was the League's own summary a year ago of how Sweden's government said NO to an entry-level certificate for their users. The curious part for me is how difficult it is to find out WHY the proposal was rejected. Still looking, but I don't know Swedish.

http://www.arrl.org/news/swedish-regulator-rejects-entry-level-amateur-radio-license

Also, I found a good summary of the ARRL's "ad hoc" panel that cooked up the idea of promoting an entry level license in some form. These points, from a year ago, apparently drove the League's attorney to write and file the Petition now awaiting action by the FCC.

http://www.kb6nu.com/new-novice-license-considered/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    K4KYV likes this.
  10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

K3FEF's has been off for a week in Milford, PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.